1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pc wont boot from hard disk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by a7609, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. a7609

a7609 Thread Starter

When I start up my computer which I recentl put together, it stays at the Bioware opening screen for about 3 minutes, displays the cpu fan speed and voltage info, and then has an error- "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter"
    If I disconnect the hard drive, it goes through everything over 100 times as fast (bioware screen passed through 1 second after the moniter shows the image) , but ends up with the same error.
    The hard drive isn't new, and it worked on my other computer. Ive checked the cable several times and it is securely connected to both the power supply and the ide socket. Also, in the bios, it shows something about "Capacity-a little more than 30000, cylanders-etc" My hard drive is 30 gig, so I assume it does detect it. ???:mad: :mad: :mad: :confused: :mad: :mad: :mad: :confused: ???

2. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Hi,

If you just took this hard drive from another motherboard setup and placed it in your new build, that is why. It is looking for the other motherboard because of the chipset drivers for the other motherboard being loaded. Best bet when you build a new computer is to do a complete format and reinstall for the new motherboard......or, find a way to delete the chipset drivers for the other motherboard and load them for this motherboard.

3. a7609

a7609 Thread Starter

help doing that? my new computer doesnt even detect the HD so i set up my old one and put in the cd for the new drivers and it didnt work either- how can i just completely format it, i dont care about anything on it.

4. a7609

a7609 Thread Starter

bump

5. norton850

norton850

The hard drive that you took from your old system, was it the only drive in that system? Do you have the master/slave jumpers configured correctly?

6. a7609

a7609 Thread Starter

It was the only drive on that system- it should be the master, but do i need to set the jumpers to do a complete format?

7. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Hi,

Need to know what OS you are planning on installing and then can give you better directions.

8. a7609

a7609 Thread Starter

planning on installing XP, which is what i had on it

9. a7609

a7609 Thread Starter

actually, i have win98 on a floppy, and i only have xp on a cd, so if that would help, im fine w/ installing 98 first and the xp from there if it would help

10. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Hello again,

Set the BIOS setup menu (last option usually in this menu) boot order to boot from CDRom first, Floppy second, and hard drive third. Save this setting and exit.....place your OS disk in the CDRom, boot up and ala, it will come up and ask you if you want to install...then it will ask you about formatting with NTFS.....go ahead and let it do both and it will install. When it is done, install the chipset drivers for your new motherboard, then the video card drivers, then the modem drivers, and the Sound Card drivers LAST. You should have a good experience if you are able to get it to do this.

If you have the full copy of XP and not the upgrade version, I would recommend not installing Win98 first. And, if you have the upgrade version, let me know and that will change what you do and how you install everything as you will need to deal with Fdisk first.

11. a7609

a7609 Thread Starter

it is the full copy of xp- im doing this on, my old computer, cause my new one doesnt even detect the HDD when I put the xp disk in. if u know how to reformat it & which computer I should do it in, & hw to get it to do it on my new pc, that would help, cause im betting i need to do some of this stuff on my new pc.

12. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Hi,

Try both of them with the method I gave you in the first paragraph in my last post. It should work.

Tell me what brands of hard drive you have. That might help guide you if problems persist. Also, do either of these drives have a previous format and have any old systems on them. If they are formatted, do you know if it is Fat32 or NTFS?

You do need to know that the manufacturer of each drive has great free downloads for their particular drive. For example, Maxtor has Maxblast3 and it is simply great. Each one has their own and they work very well to set up and prepare a drive for the OS.

13. a7609

a7609 Thread Starter

how do i install the chipset drivers for my new motherboard if it doesnt detect it. In my old computer, i click on something and it ends up showing a weird pic of something computer-looking. does this mean it worked?

14. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Hi,

The chipset drivers will be on the motherboard disk that you received with your motherboard. If you don't have that disk, then download them from the motherboard manufacturer's website. It will be a free download.

15. a7609

a7609 Thread Starter

no i have the disk, it just refuses to install

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275563

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice