PC won't boot, hangs on screen

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nickdawg

So I turn my PC on and it won't boot up. It had worked an hour or so earlier, and now this happens. I have never seen this before. There is no CD or floppy inserted when I boot up, and I can't press delete or Esc to enter setup or the BIOS. I see post code 50 in the little box (the box is always there, just with different codes).

I have an Athlon 64 CPU 3000+, 1 gig of RAM, a Geforce 6600GT video card, a Seagate 120 gig hdd, and an Nvidia nForce ultra 4 mobo.

Right now I can see the PC across the room, and it's just hanging on the one screen. Says the BIOS info at top (Phoenix AwardBios 6.0 or something or other) and then the CPU clock speed (1800) and what type of cpu I have.

I am clueless as to what is causing this and how I can use my PC again. Any help is appreciated.

Do me a favor. Turn off your computer, open your tower and take out the battery on your motherboard. Leave it out for about 30 seconds, then replace it.

Also, take out 1 stick of ram and turn your computer back on.

Let me know what happens.

nickdawg

The computer worked again when I turned it off and waited 15 mins (I tried this before I read your suggestion)

What causes this to happen? Any idea?

nickdawg

It's doing it again. Anyone have an idea as to why? The battery and RAm trick didn't work either.

Try to back up all your files if you can, your hard drive might be burning out.

nickdawg

I noticed it does this 2-3 times a week. I used to be able to shut off the surge protector for a second, and then the PC would boot up normally, but now it's not even helping.

What are some other symptoms of a bad hard drive?

I don't think it is the hard drive as you can not even access BIOS Setup. It could be bad memory or power Supply. Some PCs cannot run if you remove one of the memory sticks. Have you tried switching the memory sticks around? If that does not work try borrowing some memory from a friend. If still not luck I recommend you take it to a repair shop.

nickdawg

I wonder if it could be the psu? I have a 350w Antec, so I could go higher. As for RAM, it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Yes it could be the CPU. Are you overclocking it, which can cause the problem.

Hope it's not your motherboard =/ sounds like a nasty little problem. Do you have a manual for the motherboard? See if there's anything about error codes, and look up that little number you're getting when you try to enter BIOS. The answer might be right there. =)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online