1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC wont boot into bios - ADVANCED USERS ONLY PLEASE

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by adoomie, Apr 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. adoomie

adoomie Thread Starter

Okay so I had this PC (acer aspire x1300) since 2010. It worked fine until one day my pc wouldnt boot into windows. I played around with it and did some troubleshooting, and found out that my SATA connectors on my motherboard werent working. Only way i got my computer up and running again is to use a USB to SATA adapter for my hard drive, and did a fresh install of windows 7. it was fine at first but my computer ran WAY slower than it usually does, so after a month i got really tired and wanted to find out how to fix the SATA ports on my motherboard. I thought updating my bios would do the trick, but it didnt and i had THOUGHT I did a bad flash. I tried literally EVERYTHING to get it to run, and the most i got from it was it powering on for a few seconds, no beeps, no video, no bios, and it would shut off. i gave up. I left the computer sitting in my storage room since 2011 (the cpu, ram, cpu fan, power box were all disconnected for these four years) and yesterday i decided to try to fix it again. So i plugged in everything, installed the cpu, cpu fan, one stick of ram, a brand new power box, plugged in my monitor and my keyboard and mouse, and i booted it up. I was surprised when i heard one beep, followed by two beeps, and it booted into my BIOS. As soon as i seen it boot up, i ran upstairs to grab my laptop to find out how to fix it/how to diagnose whats wrong with it, and by the time i came back down, it shut off. Ive tried resetting my bios via jumpers and removing and replacing the CMOS battery, ive tried 8 different sticks of ram in every possible combination, ive used three different power boxes, and I cant get it to boot into BIOS anymore.

One thing ive noticed (i dont know if this is relevant or not) is that when i plug in the power box , there are two spots to plug it in. The bigger (20 pin i think) connects to the motherboard , and then there is another plug in with just four wires/prongs/plug, that plugs in right next to the keyboard/mouse inputs. When i remove the four wire plugin, my PC power button stays lit, my fan runs at the highest speed, it doesnt turn off, but i still dont get any beeps. when i have the four wire plugin attached, my fan stays at a low RPM and shuts off after 5-15 seconds, still with no beeps. I know its not the bios, because I booted into bios when i booted it for the first time after 4 years, So im thinking maybe its the CPU? I need your help please!

also I consulted my cousin who told me that my CPU shouldnt get hot after first turning it on, but i did touch it after i turned it on, and it almost melted the skin off my finger. But it makes no sense that it would be fried, because the same problem i had when it first broke down, (no bios, no beeps, turns off almost immediately), and after four years it turns on and boots into bios for about a minute and turns back off.

Please reply anything would help!! thank you! :))))))

2. jamesx121

jamesx121

Sorry---
    Just saw where U have tried 3 new PSUS

James

3. adoomie

adoomie Thread Starter

Yes I have tried 3 PSUs!!

Thanks anyways james! :)

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I would fit a new Cmos battery and make sure the jumper is in the correct position - then see if it boots up.

5. replay

replay

but i did touch it after i turned it on, and it almost melted the skin off my finger.

how did u touch the processor..........are u saying you tried to boot it up with no heatsink/fan attached????

6. adoomie

adoomie Thread Starter

Managed, I bought a pack of 10 CMOS batteries and tried all of them, that doesnt seem to be the problem, and yes i have made sure the jumper is in correct position! :(

Replay, i booted it up the first time with everything attactched including the heatsink fan, it wasnt until an hour later and many many tries later that i tried to boot it without a heatsink fan. (i know im stupid) but im using an HP from 2003 to do my regular needs, and its been driving me crazy and i cant afford a new PC At the moment so trying to fix it was my best bet.

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Fair enough.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The Aspire X1300 like many Acer/eMachine system have motherboard problems, they just fail.

FYI the CPU should indeed get hot right away.

9. marbski

marbski

1 beep and 2 beeps indicates video card problem...

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146658

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice