PC won't boot...just spins hard drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

katkandu

Ok, here's the deal...

Turn on this pc and it displays the HP startup screen then checks the cd rom, then floppy then starts the hard drive spinning but only displays a fast-blinking cursor on a black screen.

It won't boot from a Win98 boot disk, won't boot from the system recovery cd that came with.

Does anyone have a clue? Please share.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Hardware issue probably, and not my forte, but...

What is the history of the machine? Did it boot yesterday and not today...?

Sounds like a either a bad motherboard or a corrupt BIOS. Can you access the BIOS? Try pressing the DEL key immediately. Are the drives recognized? Try resetting to defaults and reset escd (configuration data).

You might also want to replace the cmos battery on the motherboard.

katkandu

It was acting "virusy" prior to not booting. Was performing sluggish, would lock up, etc.

Several people have mentioned the battery.

It goes to the floppy first, then the cd, then the hard drive. But I've inserted a Win98 boot disk and started and wouldn't boot, just spinned the hard drive. Put in the HP System Recovery cd and started but same thing.

I'll try DELETE and see if I can get into the system settings that way. I've tried F8 as an attempt to get in via Safe-Mode or even just to a command prompt and no luck.

Thanks for the tip...I'll let you know.

With that being an HP, you will probably have to hit the F1 key. That is the most common on HP's..... Depends on what Kind of Bios utility they used on yours. If it is a Phoenix, then hit the F1..

katkandu

Well, tried all "F" keys and the delete key in an attempt to get to the system settings. Still no good.

If the CMOS battery isn't good, won't that just prevent it from keeping time?

Could possibly, "clearing the CMOS" be any good?

I appreciate both of your help. If you have any other suggestions I will try, but otherwise my sis will have to take it to the shop to determine "what" piece of hardware is failing.

Thanks again! :D

It's hard to say about the cmos battery, unpredictable things can happen when they need replacement; including errors which prevent booting.

Using the jumper on the board to clear the cmos will have the same effect as removing the battery for a while or resetting to defaults from within Setup.

Keep trying to get the Setup screen, be sure you are pressing Del or F1 from the get-go.

If you do get in, look to see that your floppy is configured first in the boot order. If that doesn't work, you can also try setting the cd-rom to boot first if that option is available, that may make using the recovery cd possible.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online