1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC wont boot/no picture

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Geeba, Mar 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Geeba

Geeba Thread Starter

Hi there. Thanks for taking the time to look at this one.

When I power on a friends PC, the hard drive appears to be working+the cd rom tray will open and close, but there is no picture on the monitor. I have tried to boot from A and can here it working as well as the Fan but no picture.
    I put someone elses screen to the tower in question and still no picture.
    I put the monitor to someone elses tower and the monitor worked fine.
    PS When powered up, on the monitor instead of the normal green light there is now a red LED
    Q? How do I diagnose from here

Running an older Pentium 2

Cheers

2. Nothingface

Nothingface

Check your video card (the card that has the monitor connector). Make sure it's seated all the way in. Reseat it if possible. If that doesn't make your monitor turn on, then your video card is most likely bad.

3. Geeba

Geeba Thread Starter

Thanks
    I have already reseated the video card. And no go!
    I could perhaps try it in a diferent slot.
    Is there any way to check all options (ie motherboard/HDD) before lashing out and buying a video card.

4. Nothingface

Nothingface

Hmm..try a different slot..however I doubt it will work. It does sound like your card is bad. If you want to make sure it's not the HDD or motherboard or any other hardware, you would have to install it on a different computer to see if it works fine..I wouldn't go through all that trouble though. I'd get a new card..and if it turns out that it still aint booting up, simply return it.

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Check the ram chips and cpu to be sure they are inserted tightly.

6. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Did the monitor blow... Just suggesting, it may not be the PC at all, but the monitor.

7. griffinspc

griffinspc

If you can swap monitors with someone else then it shouldn't be a big problem to insert your friends card into that other PC to test it but if you'd rather not then if you have a local mom & pop puter place in town, you should be able to pick up an old card for $5 or $10 and if you plug that in, even if it's an ancient beast, you should at least see the BIOS startup routine if not Windows.

I'm assuming from your post that you don't even see the BIOS routine as if the monitor's getting no signal.

If you still see nothing that will tell you if the card is bad or something else in the way of hardware, controller, etc., providing Candy's last suggestion doesn't bear fruit. I wouldn't spend $50 to $400 for a test by buying a new card at this point since you don't really know what's wrong.

If you open a new card package, put it in and then take it back, many places (most) won't give your money back.

8. vesselle

vesselle

:eek: she swapped monitors, gotrootdude. it worked fine on the other puter.

i'm sure it's the card, too, but why don't you try the video card from your friend's pc? maybe she'll be nice enough to let you, since you already did the monitor swap earlier with her help. that would settle that question.

:)

V***V

9. DWILLIAMS333

DWILLIAMS333

I think that i have the same problem, i just installed a new mb and cpu, everything should be transferable/compatable, but when i start up it turns on , ie fans hd drives etc, but it doesn't load up, everything is in but no boot(post), the only problems i think that it could be is that the mb has both sdram and ddr ram, and my athlon xp/mb use a 266 fsb and the ram is 133, could this be a problem, i want to upgrade to the ddr, but moey is an issue, and i don't want to buy the ram right now unless it is the fix, trial and error is probably the only answer, but that can cost money. Could the motyherboard be bad???

i could try a new graphics card, but i thought the video test was after the ram/drive tests or is it first becvause the video info comes up first on the screen before those othersteps??? maybe i'll try as new card before ram, hmm

Dan

10. Geeba

Geeba Thread Starter

Thankyou everyone for their suggestions,
    I will borrow a card, but that'll take a few days
    I'll keep you posted.
    Graham

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/123024