1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC wont Boot, possibly got FRIED

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hynesy, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hynesy

hynesy Thread Starter

I just bought a new PC case, I installed all my PC components into my new case and then proceeded to reboot it. But it did not reboot, it doesnt even get far enough for me to enter bios setup. While i was installing my hardware into my new case, a spark jumped across from the lamp i was using. Any sugestions as to what got fried, because something must have.
    cheers
    hynesy

2. just_a_nobody

just_a_nobody

What do you mean by spark from lamp? It could be many possibilities, so you might try a barebones setup, and see how that goes.

I am including something I wrote up a long time ago, and much of it may not pertain to you, but the basics are the same and fundamental.

To start with, here are a few tips that may help you in your endeavor. First, if you don’t have a ground strap, then you will need to discharge, any static charge that you hold, by touching the computer case, or any metal object. Before handling any static sensitive objects CPU, memory sticks (dims), motherboard, and expansion cards, be sure to discharge yourself first.

• If you are building your own computer, first try and put it together outside the case, this has a couple advantages, the first being, it may save your sanity, in the long run, and the second, it will verify your basic parts are working, with the minimum of effort (no assembly required). You want to start with the bare minimum (bare bones), that being, the motherboard, CPU, and the power supply. You may need a front panel speaker, if there isn’t a beeper, on the motherboard, and also the on/off switch, from the computer case, plugged into the motherboard’s front panel terminals (you could, just short out the two power terminals, if you don’t want to tear the power switch out of the case). Now, when you turn the computer on, you should see all your fans spinning and hear a bunch of beeps, so you now know that the motherboard, power supply, and the CPU all work.
    • Now, this is very important, before going any further, unplug the power cord, from the power supply. Be sure to discharge your static, and now, install one stick of memory, I know, you want to put them all in, but only one stick, for now. Plug the power cord back in, and turn it on, you should hear a series of beeps (1 long 3 short), as the computer searches for the video card. Ok, turn it off, and unplug the power cord again, from the power supply
    • Now, discharge yourself and inset your video card, then connect your monitor to the video card. Plug the power cord back in and turn it on. You should get the Power On Self Test (POST) one beep. Then, you should get a display, on your monitor screen, showing your basic boot screen, and a boot disk error, because you don’t have any drives installed. Up to now, if you have the monitor display, and the disk error, your system is sweet.
    • Now, start putting these components, in the computer case, but first, be sure to look at the number, and the placement of the standoffs. Make sure you don’t have more standoffs than you need, and they all will line up with the mounting holes, on your motherboard. Sometimes, a standoff will be slightly leaning too far to one side, and may have a tendency to short out a circuit on the motherboard. In the case of the misaligned standoff, maybe try persuading it over in the correct direction with a needle nose pliers, or use a small piece of electrical tape around that mounting hole, on the motherboard.
    • Once you have these components installed, in the case, and have your boot display, on the monitor, along with the disk error, then you know you have a good start.
    • Now, install the drives, partition, and format your hard drives, setup the BIOS, install the operating system, and add the remaining hardware and drivers.

3. hynesy

hynesy Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, i will rebuild my computer using the same parts, just outside the case to find out what is wrong
    cheers
    hynesy

4. just_a_nobody

just_a_nobody

Best wishes with your endevor my friend.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485509

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice