1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC wont boot.....sometimes

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Merozz, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Merozz

Merozz Thread Starter

Hi ~ I built this MOD over a year ago. Have this problem that "sometimes" won't boot up. It gets to the mobo splash screen (EVGA) and then just sits there. I toggle the power supple off and on and that solves it....sometimes. Other times I just keep booting it until it comes up. Reloaded OS & used "windows repair" nope. Thought it might be my Video display card...so I replaced it. Not enough RAM? Went from 6 to 24...no help. .
    Any ideas?
    TIA Marcia
    PS Everything else works just fine. :D
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 960 @ 3.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 24567 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570, 1280 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 953766 MB, Free - 651786 MB;
    Motherboard: EVGA, 132-BL-E758
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Disabled

2. pip22

pip22

External hard drives plugged in at boot time can cause that - sometimes a small BIOS setting change will fix that, but in my case I have to ensure that all five of my external hard drives are switched off when I power up my PC (they are all connected to a switched, mains-powered external hub to save me having to physically unplug them).

Another possibility is a "flakey" hard drive. you can test it with Seagate SeaTools (it can be used to test any brand of hard drive). Get it here (click"Downloads" on the page): http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

3. Merozz

Merozz Thread Starter

Thank you for reply. I do have an external HD but I "remove" it at night. Already checked internal HD with Seagate tools. (It actually is a Seagate drive). I have wiped the drive and reloaded OS. I usually do that about every 6 months or so. I am worried it is the MOBO. I have written to EVGA to see if they have any answers. I have a lifetime replacement on the MOBO but I hate to have to do that! Might as well upgrade the processor...but it is double the price of what I paid for this one and not THAT much better.
    Marcia

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1051984