1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC won't boot unless cmos (jumper) is cleared

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chadzxc, Dec 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chadzxc

Chadzxc Thread Starter

(Sorry for bad english) Hi, I've been searching on the internet for the past 3 months and I can't really fix my pc as I did all the things i found out. I have bought a refurbished dell pc that works properly and move it to a case, bought secondhand mobo bought graphics card, secondhand cpu water coller add psu and ram. The first boot works fine but the moment I shuts down my pc it will have a solid red led debug cpu and it wont boot unless I put the cmos jumper on the 2nd and 3rd (idk what it is called) and put it back again. Sometimes it wont boot on the first time I cleared cmos so I need to do it again for 2-5 times until it boots after that I can use my pc all day without interruptions. I hope y'all can help me with this. I can guarantee cpu, ram, gpu, psu are working because I tested it in my old pc. Thanks everyone! Happy holidays

Specs

Cpu - I7 2600
    Ram - g skill 1600mhz
    Mobo - asus z68 v pro
    Gpu - GTX 1060 3gb
    Psu - cooler master 500w

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Have you considered replacing the CMOS battery on the motherboard?

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When you say it will not boot, do you mean it will not boot into windows OR do you mean the motherboard is not completing POST?
    What ver of windows are you running?

4. lynx1021

lynx1021

Dell's are kind of picky about memory, I had one that would hang 1/2 through posting and in my case it was the memory. " red led debug cpu " could be your be your board is not completely compatible with your CPU and you need to check for a bios update.

5. Chadzxc

Chadzxc Thread Starter

I already changed cmos battery, it's not showing anything on the screen so i guess its not posting, I'm using windows 10, I checked the mobo supported cpu list and i found i7 2600. Anything works fine I just need to clear cmos everytime I want to use my pc. Thanks guys!

6. Chadzxc

Chadzxc Thread Starter

And I'm using latest bios that i can find in their website

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That board is now going on 8yrs old; it may simply be failing.
    Have you given the board a VERY close inspection for any leaking capacitors and or burned VRs [voltage regulators]

8. Chadzxc

Chadzxc Thread Starter

Should i change it? Even it works fine just need to clear CMOS? I checked all of the battery and all of em looks fine. I guess i just let it like that and save money for new board. Thanks for responding!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220632

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice