1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Pc won't boot up after 2 pins being shortened

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alpha9, Sep 20, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Alpha9

Alpha9 Thread Starter

Dear helpers of the forum,

I recently had an issue where my computer alway prompted F1 request to continue boot. I found a possible solution that stated that I should shorten to pins on the usb 3.0 Header. They were the 1st pin (VBus), it is a 5 volt power supply for the usb 3.0. the other pin was a (SSRX1-). It is a data processing pin. I shortened them with a "jumper" to make the motherboard think that the front USBs are connected. I just wanted to skip the F1 screen so that I didn't have to tap it on every single boot. I run on a Windows 10 and everything has been working properly. I think I've fried something on the motherboard i suppose. If someone can help me allocated what those two pins do when they get shorted, that would help a lot. I don't know what part specifically isn't working. What a stupidity I did there, surely the USB 3.0 Header wasn't the same as the soloution I was looking at. Whatever size of help is extremely appreciated, as I am really unable to do anything. My computer is out of warranty.

Thank you for your understanding!

P.S: The computer is a HP ProDesk 600 G1 SFF Business PC.

Serial number is: "CZC40860C4 (Hawlett-Packard)"

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    To fix it you would need at least a new motherboard and other parts could also need replacing.

Sadly I think you're best bet would be to buy another computer.

3. Alpha9

Alpha9 Thread Starter

I was having that thought in my mind as well. Just wanted to do all i could to possible resolve the issue.

Thank you.

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Not much you can do unfortunately. You could look for an identical motherboard on Ebay but as I said other parts could be damaged.

Check on Amazon (and Newegg if you're in the US) for reconditioned PCs, they often have good deals.

5. Alpha9

Alpha9 Thread Starter

I will find a exact copy of the motherboard. Thank you again.

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You're welcome.

(Please click on [Mark Solved] at the top-left of your page if you are finished with this thread)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1233228

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice