1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC won't boot Windows every other time.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mrbrownstone, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mrbrownstone

mrbrownstone Thread Starter

I have recently built a PC with the following components:
    MSI P965 Neo-F
    Intel Core2Duo e6300
    1gb Generic PC5400 DDR2
    Nvidia 7600GT Graphics
    Seagate 80gb SATA Drive
    Antec Basiq 350w PSU

When I first built it a few months ago there were no problems. Then it started to BSOD on startup saying that various system files were unavailable and a reset fixed it but then it failed to boot all together. I read somewhere on the net that the Jmicron SATA controller on the board was not particularly good so I plugged the drive into one of the SATA sockets that used the Intel ICH8 chip and did a clean install of windows; this fixed it for a couple of weeks and now it's started to BSOD on startup again.

The RAM is fine because I did an extremely long memory test using a linux boot cd and it passed all of the tests. When I did the clean install of windows I ran an instance of prime95 for each core for a few hours and had no stability problems so I can't see how it can be the processor or power supply. I'm out of ideas, has anyone here got any?

Thanks in advance
    mrbrownstone

2. xtreampb

xtreampb

im and no pro and u might want to get a seccond oppion but i think that it might be the mother board. If two sata sockets have gone bad it could be the board or just that section of the board. but like i said im no pro. it could also be the drivers going bad.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

I am not quite certain what you checked ram with but I would not be using generic ram on a 965 chipset, that is fussy enough on known brands and this just feels like a ram issue.

4. xtreampb

xtreampb

ok i am in CET2 and i know a lot about hardware so explain to me what is going on with the BSoD and how the ram is causing it.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

It's just a feeling and it is due to the issues with 965 chipset.

6. xtreampb

xtreampb

7. mrbrownstone

mrbrownstone Thread Starter

I have just played for a few hours on Unreal Tournament G.O.T.Y on the PC and it BSODed. So it is obviously not just a startup issue. Do you still think it's a P965 memory issue? If so I might try some OCZ from another PC I have in it and see what happens. I might also try another power supply if that doesn't work. But it just seems so random for a motherboard issue. Does anyone else have any ideas or opinions?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539880

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice