1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC won't boot with mobo change

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MSHADOWS, Oct 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MSHADOWS

MSHADOWS Thread Starter

ok, after a long epic battle with a stuttering problem with my 6800/nforce3 combo (which took me about 9 months to find out the problem, check the forums, it's a huge widespread problem), i finally decided to switch my motherboard out for a new chipset. first i ordered an abit kv8 pro, and after i turned on the computer, all the fans worked but nothing was displayed on the monitor. the led indicator on the board told me that it was a successful boot, but for whatever reason nothing loaded. that coupled with a few minor power issues, i determined that the problem was that my power supply was not strong enough for the board (i run 18amps and the 12v rail, whereas the abit forums suggest 20a for that specific model). so i sent the board back and ordered a gigabyte k8u with a uli chipset. i put it all in, but the same thing happens (minus the power issues). fans spin, i hear the hard drive start up, but nothing happens. i know that there can be issues with booting windows when changing chipsets, but this doesn't seem to be the issue at hand. this is my first time dealing with mobo changes, so i could very well be missing something simple. if anyone knows, please reply.

ps i'm certain everything is plugged in correctly

2. Flags

Flags

MS: I assume you loaded the drivers for the chipset and video card?

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You can't load the drivers unless the PC will reach POST (Power On Self Test) and the BIOS loads, which by the explanations given is just not happening.

I would still suspect that you have a Power Supply iisue, as unless the power supply gives a "Power_OK" signal to the motherboard, the CPU will not reset and allow a boot. Even though the fans etc may work.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/404672

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice