Pc won't boot

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

catoro

I install two brand new memory sticks to my HP slimline pc win 7, but when hit the power botton it won't boot. The lights turns on and the fans spins, but it won't boot. Could it be the hard drive or the motherboard?

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Have you tried removing the new DIMMs? Does it beep at all when you try and power on the PC? Have you checked to ensure all the cabling is connected correctly? It's possible you may have knocked something inadvertently when you were installing the new DIMMs.

catoro

I did, but there was no beep at all, all the cables were checked.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Which HP Slimline do you have?
What is its model number(M/N) and product number(P/N) and serial number(S/N)?

What are the capacity and speed of the new memory sticks(RAM)?
What are the capacity and speed of the original memory sticks?

---------------------------------------------------------------

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
If you're not seeing anything at all on the screen and you're not receiving any POST errors, I doubt this issue is with the hard drive. Would it be possible to take a high-res picture of the motherboard and post it here? One of us may be able to spot something, although there's no guarantee.

catoro

I forgot to mention abs for that I apologize. When I install the memory sticks the pc works fine, the next day that's when it did not boot.

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
When I install the memory sticks the pc works fine, the next day that's when it did not boot.
So, what happened between the day you upgraded the memory and the next day? Did you turn off the PC at all? Was it running all night and then you found it wasn't on when you came to check it?

catoro

After I installed the memory and turn It on to check I turned it off, and turn it back on the next day in the afternoon.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You have a HP Pavilion Slimline s5623w Desktop PC(BT437AA).
It was purchased new in December 2010 and came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

It came with 3 GB(2 GB + 1 GB) of DDR2-800 RAM.
It supports a maximum of 4 GB(2 GB + 2 GB) of RAM.
It uses 240-pin, 1.8 volt, CL=6, unbuffered, non-ECC modules.

You still have not described the new RAM modules you purchased and installed.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Does that 2 GB DDR2-800(PC2-6400) module have any other label on it?

According to that part number, there have been a number of complaints about it not working.

When you removed the old module and replaced it with the new module, did you make sure it is fully inserted and locked in place?

catoro

I sure did and the add part is that after I installed them the pc work fine and I used it for a couple of minutes, turn it off. The next day when I turn it back on that's when it did not work.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online