1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC won't boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Dingus, Feb 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Hi guys, I was given an old PC to run nothing but 'Word' on. I formatted the drive and loaded XP using my own PC as the old one wouldn't boot from the CD drive.
    When I now try to boot the (Old) PC I get this screen, and the re-boot hangs. (See attached) Sorry for the quality.
    Does anyone know why?

BIOS drive detect is set to auto. I've tried many different configs including manually in putting all info.

Attached Files:

2. Mott The hoople

Mott The hoople

On the HDD...make sure your jumper is set to CS, or Master. Try another ribbon cable if you have it. If you dont have another, reset your existing cable connection on mobo and hdd.

3. ODIN 0ERO

ODIN 0ERO Guest

you must install WINDOWS XP on the PC you intend to use.

installing WINDOWS on one PC and after that connecting the HARD DRIVE to a completely different PC[motherboard]will definitely cause problems.

it can cause the operating system failing to boot....or simply crashes after boot..

why did the old CD DRIVE fail to boot?

have you enabled the CD boot in the BIOS?

4. Mott The hoople

Mott The hoople

Oden ...the computer isn't recognizing the hdd during post.

5. ODIN 0ERO

ODIN 0ERO Guest

i could very well be that the BIOS of the old PC is out of date and needs to be updated.[if possible of course]

6. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

It does have an option in the BIOS for CD boot (Tried different CD drives), but it won't do this. It also tries the floppy even if it's disabled. I tried removing the Mb battery and loading defaults, but still no luck.

7. Mott The hoople

Mott The hoople

remove ALL pci cards and give it a go...

8. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Mott the Hoople, (Showing your age) I tried that early on, unfortunately without success.

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

Again you cannot install XP from another pc...also one copy of XP per pc and you are bordering on having this post closed for legality incidentally.
    I would bet either XP cd is NG or cd drive is.

10. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Rich, I didn't think it was illegal, a road I definitely do not wish to go down. I purchased the XP CD from Misco Ltd. how is this illegal?

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

" I formatted the drive and loaded XP using my own PC as the old one wouldn't boot from the CD drive." This just sounds like you are using your XP cd, like from a system you are already using vs one you bought specifically to do this. Sorry I wasn't assuming that, it just sounded like that could be a possibility and I knew a Mod might be asking that sooner or later....

12. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

I removed my own drive and used my own PC, as the CD works OK on mine, to load the NEW XP onto the OLD PC that ahd 98 on it.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544795

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice