1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC wont boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Randomname01, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Randomname01

Randomname01 Thread Starter

Greetings all. I am trying to finish up a computer build, and I have everything hooked up, but when I go to turn on the power, it wont boot. The fans look like they are trying to start up (they twitch, but do not spin) I rechecked all connections and they were secure.

After fiddling with it for a few minutes, I pulled out the CPU 12V power supply (4 pin) from the motherboard, and all the fans, as well as an 8800GTS powered up fine.

The fact that everything but the CPU powers up makes me think DoA chip. As mentioned earlier, though, the fans just jumping slightly makes me think a bad PSU. As always, it could simply be user error on my part.

One important thing to note - the AeroCool PSU is 20pin, the Mobo is 24 pin, so I had to buy an adapter for it. In other words - I made a newbie error.

Another note: The case is a Lian Li make with a pair of 120mm fans, and a pair of 80 mm fans. I disconnected all of those, and it still did not help.

The components are as follows:
    AeroCool 620W PSU
    Intel C2D E6400
    2 Gig Patriot Ram
    WD Caviar 320 gig HDD
    TForce P965 Motherboard
    EVGA 8800GTS 320

Any help on this problem would be appreciated.

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

If the specs are correct that I see for the Aero Cool you don't have the connections correct.

What color wires are connected to the 4 pin +12v connector near the processor?

3. Gary-111

Gary-111

I am very interested in this because I have found the same problem when trying to repair a friends PC. It seems to be a similar problem under different circumstances.
    ASUS P5P800 with a P4 and a 300W power supply. Has been in use for at least 9 months.
    She described recent problems as regular "freezing" which got worse until now she cannot boot up.
    Identical symptoms as you described. I suspect that in this case the power supply has been marginal casuing intermittent problems. I am guessing the CPU for the same reasons as you. ( I am guessing that regular crashes due to power failure can damage the CPU but I dont really know).

4. brite750

brite750

I would buy a proper psu for that stuff you shouldnt use an adapter, what is a 620watt psu doing with just a 20pin atx anyway?

5. Randomname01

Randomname01 Thread Starter

The lack of manuals and whatnot confused me on the build. I had things hooked up incorrectly. Sorta what I get for not doing a few hours research. The PC works fine now. It slipped my mind to reply to this and mark it solved.

Thanks for all the help received.

6. Gary-111

Gary-111

Same syptoms but different problem. I upgraded the PSU and it worked fine. Just strange that it worked for six months with only 13A on the 12V before the problem showed up.

Moral - Dont use a 300W power supply when you can buy an adequate 550W for $35.

7. brite750

brite750

not really, sure it worked but it was stressing the psu at its limits and over time, 6 mo. in your case, the psu fails, makes perfect sense to me.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590039

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice