PC won't connect to TV via HDMI

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

summerlmao

Someone recently gave me a Polaroid HD LCD TV (2010). I didn't know what to do with it so I decided to use it as a second monitor for my PC. I went out and bought an HDMI cable and just assumed it would connect right away. I'm using WIN7 (don't make fun.. I like it.) But no matter what I do, I can't seem to figure out why it won't connect. I can usually figure out computer-type things but I'm stumped.

crjdriver

I decided to use it as a second monitor for my
Have you setup multi monitor? If not, you must do this unless you are going to use the TV as the only monitor.
Have you selected the correct hdmi input to the TV? Many TVs have multiple hdmi connections [my home theater TV has four]

summerlmao

Have you setup multi monitor? If not, you must do this unless you are going to use the TV as the only monitor.
Have you selected the correct hdmi input to the TV? Many TVs have multiple hdmi connections [my home theater TV has four]
Okay, I solved this out of dumb luck. (Didn't realize there was another hdmi port.) after fiddling with the resolution and screen size (it was too zoomed in) I had it set up, it worked perfect. I went to put it on sleep, as I do whenever I'm done with my computer, and only the screen turned black. My PC was still on, lights were on, fans were on, etc. I couldn't turn it off from the button, so I had to flip the switch in the back. When I turned it back on it said it had to examine a disk? Then it counted down to 30 and I had to click a key before it got to 0. After I clicked, and the disks were examined (took about 5 mins) the screen turned on. But my screen was frozen. Again, I couldn't turn it off from the button, I had to flip the switch. This time when I turned it on, it asked me if I wanted to start in safe mode or normal mode. Safe mode froze my computer. Normal mode shows a black screen. With a cursor. At this point my tv isn't even connected anymore. I waited until the morning, mostly because I had no idea what to do. I just tested it again, pressed the button, the options 'safe mode' 'another option I can't remember' 'start windows normally' showed up. I started Windows's normally and only a black screen showed up, with a cursor. I really don't know my PC specs, (someone built it for me) and I obviously can't see them via my computer. What should I do? I really need my computer! It's for school!! :(

crjdriver

Okay, I solved this out of dumb luck.
I would hardly call this issue solved.
I really don't know my PC specs
Open the case and look. The mb will have the mfg and part# silkscreened on the board. The video card will have the same OR a sticker. Pw supply will have a label with mfg and part# etc, etc.
Next do you have a current backup of anything important ie docs, videos, etc?
Do you have the install disk for windows along with the serial# or install key?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online