Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pc wont connect to TV

1K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  plodr 
#1 ·
My pc wont connect to my TV through hdmi it just says no signal and its plugged into the gpu

#16 ·
I just connected my laptop to a tv using the hdmi port 2 on the tv. I went through every possibility of wrong ports and laptop asleep and I did not see the no signal on the tv screen. I think there is a problem with the hdmi port on your PC.
Two possibilities: hdmi port is disabled or it isn't working.
To check either case, boot into the BIOS on the PC. Make sure the hdmi port is listed and make sure it says enabled.

#17 ·
I just connected my laptop to my TV.
You have to take it a step at a time

HDMI output from PC plugged into TV input HDMI3

On PC do this...

In notifications select Project

1620751130688.jpeg

Confirm that Duplicate is selected

1620751147734.jpeg

At this point my PC was still not showing on TV

On TV use remote to select Source
Note source had not changed from it normal input of HDMI/DVI which is from cable box.

1620751163499.jpeg

Change TV video source to HDMI3.
PC desktop now shown on TV screen.

1620751172595.jpeg

#18 ·
MisterEd51, did you ever see no signal on the tv? I never did. I either saw nothing or the PC's screen.
I didn't think to try unplugging the hdmi cable from the laptop to see if no input would appear on the tv screen. (I might try that later.)

That's why I suspect the hdmi cord is recognized on the tv but the PC's hdmi port is doing nothing so no signal comes up because the tv doesn't see the PC end as connected to anything.

I did find this; the no signal might be caused by the wrong refresh rate on the PC.
Start > Settings > System > Display > Advanced Display Settings > Display Adapter Properties > Monitor > Screen Refresh Rate
It should be 60MHz for it to work on an older tv.

#21 · (Edited)
MisterEd51, did you ever see no signal on the tv? I never did. I either saw nothing or the PC's screen.
I didn't think to try unplugging the hdmi cable from the laptop to see if no input would appear on the tv screen. (I might try that later.)

That's why I suspect the hdmi cord is recognized on the tv but the PC's hdmi port is doing nothing so no signal comes up because the tv doesn't see the PC end as connected to anything.

I did find this; the no signal might be caused by the wrong refresh rate on the PC.
Start > Settings > System > Display > Advanced Display Settings > Display Adapter Properties > Monitor > Screen Refresh Rate
It should be 60MHz for it to work on an older tv.
In case we have missed something obvious please post the exact model numbers for your laptop and TV. We probably should have asked that in the first place.

The only time I saw no signal (noise) was when the TV's video source was set to something with no actual signal.
For example, when I turn on the Blue-ray player the TV's video source automatically goes to HDMI-CEC which is the correct one for the Blue-ray player.
If I then turn off the Blue-ray player the TV's video source switches to TV which of course has no signal.
To switch back to the cable box I have to manually select HDMI/DVI as the TV's video source.

Normally if everything is connected correctly this should just work. You might try a different HDMI cable or try connecting the laptop to a different TV or monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.