1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC won't detect both my USB portable Hard Disk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by spyslayer, Jan 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spyslayer

spyslayer Thread Starter

Hi there,

I have 2 portable USD Hard Disk which I suspect may be corrupted.

1) my Acer portable USB hard drive is no longer accessible, it seems. When connected via USB, the drive is nowhere to be seen when I click on "My Computer," where it previously appeared.

2)my toshiba portable USB hard drive:when I opened "My Computer" and tried to access information on this toshiba E disk, I got the following message: "The disk in drive E is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?"

I've tried connecting it to another computer and not had any luck there either. Is there anything I can do to recover all these files, or are they completely corrupted?

Thanks for reading this and expert advise needed.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

External drives are the most unreliable of all places to store data. If you didn't make backups, you should have expected this to happen. Any file not backed up is one you should expect to lose.

If they are OK mechanically, you can use recovery software. You may have to remove them from their cases and attach them to other PC's if you can.

If you think the one that needs formatting is running all right, you can try Testdisk to recover the partition or the files.

Free:

Paragon Rescue Kit
    Parted Magic (The best boot CD. Includes data recovery to CD/DVD, network, or USB, Testdisk for partition recovery, audio tests, and much more)
    Testdisk Documentation
    Testdisk Download
    Minitool Partition Recovery
    Easeus Partition Recovery
    Diskinternals Partition Recovery
    Partition Wizard Boot CD
    DriveRescue
    Testdisk Boot Disk
    Partition Find & Mount
    Free DTIData NTFS Partition Repair Tool

Commercial:

Diskinternals Partition Recovery (Demo)
    [email protected] Partition Recovery
    Bootmaster Partition Recovery
    ZAR Partition Recovery
    DIY DataRecovery DiskPatch
    Partition Table Doctor

3. vic2pc

vic2pc

I'm curious: why do you say that? Because of mechanical issues, or data corruption risks? Yes, there's risk of data corruption if you simply unplug a USB external device instead of "safely removing" it, but other than that, external drives are quite reliable, in my experience.

In contrast, I've actually found optical discs like CDs and DVDs to be the "most unreliable". I've got DVDs less than 6 months old that are now cracked and useless; even so-called big-brand offerings, and despite being stored in a cool, dry conditions.

4. xalerik

xalerik

I think here all depends on disk inside box. If you purchase NS or RE4 enterprise class harddisk drive (with 5 years warranty) and put it inside good HDD case you can be almost sure about data safety for several years. Almost all other devices on marked have cheapest models inside. Some of manufacturers make things even worst then customising their HDDs inside. For example WD passports have USB port on disk itself instead of sata. Mini USB port more easy to damage using hundreds times, so...

5. Intel_Xtreme

Intel_Xtreme

You mean that external HDDs that sit on your desk all the time break more easily than internal ones??

How long does the average 2.5" HDD last anyways?

6. spyslayer

spyslayer Thread Starter

Hi Elvandil,

Thanks for your prompt reply and the list recovery tools to use. Based on your expertise,may I ask u which recovery software is the easiest and simplest to use for both free & commercial?

Thks!

7. Intel_Xtreme

Intel_Xtreme

Can you hear the drives run? If not, then data recovery software will not work.
    Don't run any of the data recovery software until you are sure anything else will not work as if it's just the case (inside the case there is a 2.5" laptop drive) then running the software will make the problem worse.

8. spyslayer

spyslayer Thread Starter

Hi Intel_Xtreme,

What are the other ways to retrieve my data before I try the recovery software?

Thks!
    Spyslayer

9. spyslayer

spyslayer Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

besides revory software, is there other ways to retrieve my contents from my portable HDD?

thks,
    Spyslayer

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1037829

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice