1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC won't detect external harddrive - need help immediately

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SoulRaiderX, Jan 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SoulRaiderX

SoulRaiderX Thread Starter

My dog walked by my chair, pulled the external drive power cord, and it fell and hit the ground. Now, all it does is make a weird ticking sound from the inside of it's shell. I go to "My Computer" and it isn't being detected anymore, and when the ticking sound stops, it still isn't detected. I need help, all my data is on that drive and tomorrow I have a huge project.

The ticking sound sounds like a tick, then a ball dropping. It doesn't last very long and it does it for a minute or so, but it's still a reason to be concerned. Once it finishes, the harddrive still can't be detected at all. The harddrive itself works fine, it powers on fine and everything.

I made sure all the three cables were connected properly (the power cable, the outlet cable leading to the power cable, and the USB cable). I left the harddrive off for over 10 minutes, and the problem still surfaces.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    A hard drive bouncing off the floor seldom does it any good. THe click you hear could be what is commonly known as the "Click of Death". You could try installing it as an internal drive on your computer, slaved to the master drive. If it still doesnt work, it probably means the fall damaged it in a way unrecoverable. If the was connected to Laptop or Notebook you can disregard the part about installing it internal. You may try connecting it in a friends computer to see if it works still. Was this drive installed in an external enclosure or was it connected to a usb adapter setup?

3. Scorpion

Scorpion

I doubt it, if it was pulled on the floor and hit from a height of a table...and all you hear are ticking sounds.

First, disconnect all power, and open the 'shell' to make sure the drive is connected properly inside. It should just plug in to connectors....depends on the type of enclosure you have.

Once that is done, try it again.
    Also, can you tell us if other usb devices are still recognizes by the system?

Scorp.

4. SoulRaiderX

SoulRaiderX Thread Starter

I dunno, all other USB drives should work completely fine, they always have, but how do I open the shell? I'm no good at open hardware cases, I've never done it before. Would it void my warranty if I opened it?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think you can pretty much forget this drive. Since it was a physical drop that did it in, it's almost certainly damage inside the HDA that is the issue. Your not going to fix that.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/533268

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice