1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved PC won't display to monitor after cpu upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Charalson1, Mar 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Charalson1

Charalson1 Thread Starter

I recently bought a Ryzen 1600 to upgrade. I've installed it , and put everything together and when I powered on my PC, the lights turned on, the CPU fan, system fan and all of that. Everything seemed good but my PC wouldn't display anything at all to the monitor, I've switched ports and my monitor would wake but not display anything and would go back to sleep. I didn't hear any beeps while powering on. I have a MSI b350 bazooka motherboard, 1 stick of 8GB DDR4 RAM, an RX 580 as well, running Windows 10+. It was my first time attempting an upgrade so I am not experienced. Anything I did wrong?

2. kenbok51

kenbok51

According to this page:
    http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-MSI/B350_TOMAHAWK.html
    There is a difference in the required bios for the 1600 and the 1600x. there is also a 1600 pro version. In order to find out which bios you have you will probably have to put the old processor back in to check it. From that page it would appear that the version 10 is probably default from the factory since no earlier versions are listed there. If your sure you have the 1600 and not 1600x then there may be another issue.

This page also has downloads for the latest bios:
    https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350-TOMAHAWK

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You didn't advise us the exact description of the original and replacement processors.

I agree with kenbook51 that a BIOS update was probably needed with the original processor in place BEFORE you installed the replacement processor.

--------------------------------------------------------------

4. Charalson1

Charalson1 Thread Starter

The original was a Ryzen 1400 but I have found my issue. I didn't seat the RAM all the way. It has since started working normally. I am happy it wasn't a bios issue. Thanks for the help. How can I delete this?

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm glad to hear you found out what the issue was and had an easy fix for it.

Threads aren't deleted. Just mark it as solved - which you already did.

---------------------------------------------------------------

6. kenbok51

kenbok51

There are quite a few bios updates on that download page for your motherboard. I'm of the mind though, "if it ain't broke don't fix it" but that doesn't mean you wouldn't get a benefit from the latest bios. A failed bios update is no joke though, so if you choose to keep the one you have I would completely understand, they scare me every time.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1206045

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice