Pc won't find Hard drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cbechard56

In Bios pc see's hard drive. When going to install XP it can not find hard drive for some reason. I was able to format the drive no problem. Used Mini XP it found the drive no problem. So I have not a clue why when installing XP PRo it does not find the drive?????????:confused:

More info please....is this a new or old drive? Why are you reinstalling the OS?

cbechard56

This is an old drive I reformatted installing in a Dell Pen4 300MHz 1 GB memory .
Mini widows finds the drive fine. Like I said Bios no problem either. 160GB SATA drive.. Its the only drive in the system..

Thanks.

DoubleHelix

Banned
I've never heard of "Mini XP", but Windows XP often cannot recognize a SATA hard drive. Did Windows XP come pre-installed on this computer? If so, the restore disks should work just fine. If it came with Windows 7 installed, I suggest you verify XP drivers are available for all the hardware before attempting to install XP.

I strongly recommend against downgrading a computer from XP to 7 unless there's a critical need.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
This is an old drive I reformatted installing in a Dell Pen4 300MHz 1 GB memory .
Mini widows finds the drive fine. Like I said Bios no problem either. 160GB SATA drive.. Its the only drive in the system..

Thanks.
I think you meant to say it has a Pentium IV 3.00 GHz processor and not 300 MHz.

What's the 7-character service tag number on the sticker?

-------------------------------------------------------

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
According to service tag number 4T01X61, that computer is a Dell Dimension 8400 desktop.
Here is the Dell support site that's specific only to THAT desktop.
You should add and save this site in your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can readily refer to it when needed.

That desktop was manufactured in March 2005 and came with Windows XP pre-installed.
It also came with a Seagate 160 GB SATA hard drive.

Here is the list of setup options in the BIOS.
It shows 3 settings for the hard drive controller:
RAID Autodetect/AHCI
RAID Autodetect/ATA
RAID On

Here is a good pictorial guide for formatting the hard drive and doing a clean reinstall of Windows XP Pro.

---------------------------------------------------------

cbechard56

This is all stuff I have been doing a clean install. I already knew about the tag and how to get the drivers and such. I am saying
when you get to choose to install or R to repair. I don't want to repair because its a clean hard drive. I hit return to install XP
it tell me no hard drive can be found in the system. I checked BIOS to make sure it see's hard drive, no problem. So this is where I am now. Any more ideas???

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Are you using an actual original bootable XP CD?

cbechard56

Ok guy's all fixed! I changed the Bios from, RAID Autodetect/AHCI to RAID Autodetect/ATA and all is well again. Guess it did not like the default setting.. Thanks for the help guy's..

Clem

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Glad you got it resolved. :) (y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online