1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Wont power down after shutdown.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fingy, May 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fingy

fingy Thread Starter

Issue is that after shutdown the system does not turn off. Fans still spin lights stay on cdrom still opens and closes.

Have updated BIOS, Changed power settings within Win8.1.

Changed out PSU for an EVGA 650W Gold PSU from my system and starts up and shuts down without an iussue. So i think Thermaltake PSU stuffed.

Exchanged Thermatake PSU for a new one from shop where I purchased it and put into system only to have this same issue.

So is it possible that the two thermaltake PSU are duds or cut my losses and chuck in a 750W PSU?

Any help would be appreciated.

ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer
    Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz 6MB
    Gigabyte N970-G1-GAMING-4GD 4G GTX 970 G1 Gaming PCI-E VGA Card
    Thermaltake PS-TPD Toughpower 1000W 80 Gold PSU PSU

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You could fit the Thermaltake(s) in your own PC to test them.

3. Frost_WD

Frost_WD Western Digital Representative

Hi Fingy,

I would recommend doing a stress test and reporting your temperatures here. Also, you could make sure that all your components are firmly in place and that there are no burn marks or swollen captivators on your motherboard. Another thing you could try would be to reset your CMOS battery. Also, once you take it out, hold the power button for about a minute to make sure there is no left over charge. Running a malware scan wouldnÂ’t hurt, even tho malware is unlikely the cause.
    If the problems persist and you are using the PC for work you could consider taking it to an expert locally.

Hope it helps,
    Frost_WD

4. fingy

fingy Thread Starter

Cheers for the responses I have found the issue which ended up being the HDLED + lead on the header pin. Yes it was on the one with the + but for giggles I decided to turn each connector around one at a time and it fixed it.

cheers

Chris

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Chris just as a reminder this is a family oriented site and vulgar language is not permitted per the site rules

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148266

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice