1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pc wont power on after power supply replaced

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rocko33, Jan 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rocko33

Rocko33 Thread Starter

:) Hi !! All,

Happy New Year to all members and technical assistants.

I have a little issue in which I require some help and guidance.
    I have a PIII 900MHZ 256 MB memory with a ASUS MB-

Recently it died on me and assumed that the reason I could not get to power
    it up is due to my power supply. I went out and spent the money and bought a brand new power supply from a computer retailor. I saw him remove it from a brand new case.
    I installed the power supply , trying to power it up, I can see the fan rotate a little bit but not enough to power on. Changed socket and it power on.
    It booted up but after 30 sec, it shut itself off and now I cannot power it back on until 15 min. later when I went and change power socket once more.
    This time, the power did not stay up very long. As soon it powered up, no more than 1 min later while it was loading windows Xp, it shut itself off nad now again can't power it back on. I have a power extention and power bar in which I used and both shuts the computer off. Anything else plugged to it doesn't seem to do any affect. This is the second new power supply I'm trying.
    What else can it be ? I have not tried to place the computer in a different room on a different plug yet. I will try that tonight but in the meantime, what else can I try ?

Thanks for your help and listening.

Cheers !!
    :) (y)

2. lemondrop

lemondrop

Sounds more like something could be overheating. The CPU perhaps.
    If you can get to the BIOS check the temperature and post it.

3. dingle

dingle

If you start it up with the case off, does the processor fan turn ?
    Also, Does it "Beep" at all which would either show BIOS had enabled, or something else was wrong.

4. dai

dai

5. Rocko33

Rocko33 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies -
    I cannot get to the bios setup since I can't seem to power it on now, even with a new power supply - The computer was working realy well until 2 days ago when it would not power on. I notice that the CPY fan would try to spin but for a little twitch but no power. It looks like it doesn't have enough power to turn on.
    I get the feeling that the MB is toasted or needs to be replaced.

6. dai

dai

you may have a short somewhere see if any of the capacitators are leaking

7. dingle

dingle

It could just be the Processor Fan...They ae proected to shut down at dangerous temps.

Maybe try this first...if not look at either the Mobo or the CPU.

8. HawkHunter

HawkHunter

Sometimes when you move stuff around, you might inadvertantly move a card or chip.

best bet is to try re-seating your RAM, PCI cards, AGP cards and double check your CPU heat sync is seated properly. If you take the heat sync off and the (usually) white paste is dried up, you'll want to replace that paste before proceeding.

Give it a shot - works lots for me when i get the "cpu fan twitch power on" symptom.

Cheers,
    Hawk

PS make sure you ground yourself before touching all that static sensitive equipment (use anti-static gloves or if not available - touch the powersupply/frame of the computer tower to discharge yourself of static electricity)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/315631

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice