1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC won't power on and I think its the PSU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RyanJamesSmith, Jan 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyanJamesSmith

RyanJamesSmith Thread Starter

I just need some other opinions on this.
    So i just finished building a new pc Specs:
    mobo: msi b350 tomahawk
    cpu: ryzen 3 1300x
    gpu: radeon rx 570 8gb
    ram: 16gb ddr4
    120mm fan
    The thing is the PSU is an old one from 2012 from an older gaming pc i had and its only 460w.
    When i plug in the computer to the power supply there is a green light that shows it gets power ut lights up, but when i press the power button on the case, it doesnt turn the computer on at all and the light immediently turns off on the PSU.
    Do you think its the PSU not having enough watts to handle or just bad? or maybe the case button?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, have you read the guide at the top of the hw forum for problem builds? If not, do so. If you follow ALL of the steps, you will find the cause of your problem.
    Next the minimum pw supply required is 500W [at least from the specs I found] Do you have another [lower powered] video card you can try?

Some common errors for new builders;
    1 The 4/8/12pin aux pw connector is not plugged in
    2 Motherboard shorting to the case due to incorrect placement of standoffs
    3 Video card, ram, cpu, etc not seated correctly
    4 Parts not compatible. Does not seem to be the case here

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221588

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice