1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

pc won't recognize memory--HELP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 723johnm, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 723johnm

723johnm Thread Starter

newbie........so be gentle. old blue light pc w/ 6178m mobo i810. cpu is 800mhz plll . only had 32mb ram. i added an old (working)64mb pc100 in and it only read 63mb. so i got a new 256 pc133 and now it reads 95mb only. max is 512 but i'm not gonna buy more till this works. help please..............thanks

2. norton850

norton850

What happens if you just use you new 256MB stick?

3. 723johnm

723johnm Thread Starter

whew !!! glad that didn't fix it ! that would have made me just tooooo stoopid to live. i just tried that---by itself-- and it read only 64, well......62.46 in one slot and 62.02 in the other. i then did the same w/ the 64mb (16x4)and it read 31.something in either slot. stuck the 256(64x4) back in and i'm back up to my whopping 95mb. what to try next ??? thanks.........john

4. SacsTC

SacsTC

What mobo??

5. SirKenin

SirKenin Banned

It sounds like it's only reading a quarter of the memory on the 256, half on the 64. I wonder if these are both double sided SIMMS, and the controller is only reading half of each side? lol. Isn't that odd. I do have a motherboard that is very picky where you put the SIMMS, though, and if you do it wrong it will only read part of the RAM so you might want to play around with different configurations, just in case.

6. 723johnm

723johnm Thread Starter

true blue 6178m - pc was made by LG INTERNATIONAL for (you guessed it) kmart in 2000-2001. lg is still going strong but has nothing moe to do w/pc. k-mart handled everything then went bellie up. all other guts are pretty common execpt for mobo.

7. 723johnm

723johnm Thread Starter

ok........don't get it. 2 slots - 1- 256stick . i use one slot or the other . how can i play w/that ?? can you give me the dos command for enabling "smart" i tried C:\WINDOWS\SMARTDVR------and variations thereof but kept saying " bad command" hell my dos won't accept EXIT, I gotta turn it off !!!

8. SirKenin

SirKenin Banned

SMARTDRV is a DOS command for the disk caching utility. That won't help you read your RAM properly.

Anyways, if you need it, the command is:

DEVICEHIGH=SMARTDRV.EXE /DOUBLE_BUFFER

9. 723johnm

723johnm Thread Starter

it says in my start -up "smart hdd "is disabled. i've heard this helps w/speed.......some. can't see how it could hurt. once the ram mystery gets solved, and i get it to 512, i'm gonna try my first o-clock to this old lady....then give it to my gr-son-------hope he doesn't bite me. any more ideas are greatly appreciated !!! thanks again

10. SacsTC

SacsTC

11. 723johnm

723johnm Thread Starter

nope-memory is common. either pc100 or 133 works. so thats not it unless the mem is BAD. i'll switch the 256 in my old e-macine w/this one. but i KNOW the 64mb IS good & it still only reads 32. can't believe i have this mystery NOBODYS' ever heard of. my luck.......

12. 723johnm

723johnm Thread Starter

ok...took out the 64mb.....put in another(good 256)(reads 256 in other pc) it's a pc 100/133 (8x32) it's reading 128mb of that and still only 64mb of the other 256 pc133 (64x4) for now a whopping 192mb out of 512 !!! woohoo. could this be a voltage or power supply issue ?? don't know much about pcs' but in a car, if the elect. sys. is outta whack-there's trouble. and these" high tech ******* "pcs' need the correct juice also.....no ????? maybe a bad analogy but.......why cut open the heart to fix a hangnail ?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430450

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice