1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC won't recognize slave or cd/dvd drives

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mezzerooni, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mezzerooni

mezzerooni Thread Starter

hi -

for several months my PC would only recognize and connect with my slave drive ("E") once in awhile. sometimes if i changed cables or disconnected "E" for awhile, it would come back on being reconnected. i finally posted the issue on TSG, and one member suggested going back to master/slave from cable select. it worked for a couple of days, so i marked the thread "solved". but less than a day later it dropped "E" again.
    now it has also stopped recognizing my cd/dvd drive "D"- will not display it under "my computer" (of course doesn't show "E" either), and won't play cds or dvds. i had recently installed iTunes, and last night iTunes opened a window stating that something in its installation was preventing my player from working, and that i would need to uninstall iTunes. i did that today, rebooted, but no dice.
    another recent problem (not sure if related) is that during the same week it has begun to get weird with new programs. i installed seagate's diagnostic program. the minute i would click on it, a window would popup stating that it had encountered a problem and needed to close. i also installed a kenwood music editor program, and same thing- the first time i clicked on it to use it, up popped a window saying that "kenwood music editor has encountered a problem", etc. i got the seagate program from their site, and the kenwood software from a disc.

i did try windows (or is it MS?) "Fixit" gadget last night- can't remember exactly what happened, but it didn't work- it might even have refused to load- i was kinda sleepy by then.

any help greatly appreciated. i realilze magic wands do not grow in trees.

mezz

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3200+, x86 Family 15 Model 95 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 2526 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA Quadro NVS 210S / NVIDIA GeForce 6150LE, 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 152625 MB, Free - 33506 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTek Computer INC., M2NBP-VM CSM
    Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2012, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. dukevyner

dukevyner

thats odd.. your saying that you get the problem when hooked up with both cable select and when defining as slave and master?... are you sure you have the jumpers correct?... gee thats the only thing i can think of:confused:

3. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

Hiya mezz.

Run full and complete scans of your installed anti-virus, malware and spyware and see if anything interesting shows up.

If you get no joy from that (or even if you do), run HiJack This and post the results here and maybe someone will pick up on something in there.

Jenny

4. mezzerooni

thanks for your responses.
    jenny- i'm not sure what scans you are suggesting beyond these: i ran chkdsk last night- the looooongest chkdsk i've ever experienced- 10 hours. but the result screen (AND the result screen?) says- i think i got this right- "the type of volume is NTFS. the test has been completed. the volume is clean". i regularly run malwarebytes, including during this issue, but not in last 48 hourss, so will do again (it has been checking "no infections" so far.) avg scans daily. smitfraudfix occasionally finds things. but always seems to be claiming it has repaired them- last scan was probably over a week ago. malwarebytes seems to make spybot s & d redundant, so i don't use that anymore. used to run spyware doctor (name?) but not in the last year.
    i may sound defensive- hope not. i would LOVE there to be something worthwhile i haven't looked at yet.
    i will of course do an HJT- i PRAY someone will look at it.

as to jumpers and cables- one of the things that has caused "E" to reconnect has been switching cables. may sound absurd, but i've been cycling through the same three cables for several months- each has worked at least once. what are the chances of all three being bad or "worn out"? have never done it for cd/dvd drive. noticed this morning that it has a 3-terminal cable. i do have a 2-terminal one i can try. and will swap the threes again for the HD's.
    jumper settings- last time i had "E" working was immediately after switching back to "cable select", but it has since disconnected (again). the scheme for one of the HD's is a little hard to interpret- it's a 4-pin box. it shows a solid "thing" on the far right pins, and a lighter-shaded "thing" to the right of that. for the far right it says "master on", "slave off". is it possible for a master jumper to have NO thingies (the little black slide-on deals)? hope it doesn't come to this, but i suppose i could post a photo- not sure i know how to post a photo here, but could probably figure it out. can't even remember if i'm on cable select or master/slave at present.
    aftfer i sign this post off i'm going to swap out the cables again, including replacing the "D" drive with a 2-terminal cable. (of course if it works, i still won't know what the problem is, except that it always returns in a day or so.) i would greatly prefer to know.

here comes thte HJT- and thanks again for your help.
    mezz

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
    Scan saved at 08:12:27, on 11/9/2011
    Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\D\System32\smss.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG2012\avgrsx.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\avgcsrvx.exe
    C:\D\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\D\system32\services.exe
    C:\D\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\D\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\D\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\D\Explorer.EXE
    C:\D\system32\spoolsv.exe
    c:\program files\common files\logitech\lvmvfm\LVPrcSrv.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\avgwdsvc.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\NVIDIA~1\NETWOR~1\Apache Group\Apache2\bin\apache.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\avgtray.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\LComMgr\Communications_Helper.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\NVIDIA~1\NETWOR~1\Apache Group\Apache2\bin\apache.exe
    C:\Program Files\Logitech\QuickCam10\QuickCam10.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\LComMgr\LVComSX.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\NVIDIA~1\NETWOR~1\bin\nSvcIp.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\NVIDIA~1\NETWOR~1\bin\nSvcLog.exe
    C:\D\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\D\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    C:\D\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\avgnsx.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\avgemcx.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\AVGIDSAgent.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\avgscanx.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\avgcsrvx.exe
    C:\D\system32\msiexec.exe
    C:\desktop\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\windows\system32\blank.htm
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\windows\system32\blank.htm
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
    R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {CA3EB689-8F09-4026-AA10-B9534C691CE0} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
    O2 - BHO: SearchBar.InitToolbarBHO - {1d970ed5-3eda-438d-bffd-715931e2775b} - mscoree.dll (file missing)
    O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\avgssie.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {4D0E1F7F-3B37-741C-5738-414E57A15A45} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: Canon Easy Web Print Helper - {68F9551E-0411-48E4-9AAF-4BC42A6A46BE} - C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\EWPBrowseLoader.dll
    O2 - BHO: Groove GFS Browser Helper - {72853161-30C5-4D22-B7F9-0BBC1D38A37E} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office14\GROOVEEX.DLL
    O2 - BHO: URLRedirectionBHO - {B4F3A835-0E21-4959-BA22-42B3008E02FF} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office14\URLREDIR.DLL
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
    O2 - BHO: SMTTB2009 - {FCBCCB87-9224-4B8D-B117-F56D924BEB18} - (no file)
    O3 - Toolbar: Easy-WebPrint - {327C2873-E90D-4c37-AA9D-10AC9BABA46C} - C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {338B4DFE-2E2C-4338-9E41-E176D497299E} - (no file)
    O3 - Toolbar: SearchBar - {c9a6357b-25cc-4bcf-96c1-78736985d412} - mscoree.dll (file missing)
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\D\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\D\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [High Definition Audio Property Page Shortcut] HDAShCut.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_TRAY] "C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\avgtray.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechCommunicationsManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\LComMgr\Communications_Helper.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechQuickCamRibbon] "C:\Program Files\Logitech\QuickCam10\QuickCam10.exe" /hide
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LVCOMSX] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\LComMgr\LVComSX.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Easy-PrintToolBox] C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-PrintToolBox\BJPSMAIN.EXE /logon
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BCSSync] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\BCSSync.exe" /DelayServices
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [APSDaemon] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support\APSDaemon.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\D\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - Startup: Dropbox.lnk = E:\Documents and Settings\Steve\Application Data\Dropbox\bin\Dropbox.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office14\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Add To Print List - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll/RC_AddToList.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint High Speed Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll/RC_HSPrint.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Preview - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll/RC_Preview.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll/RC_Print.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Se&nd to OneNote - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office14\ONBttnIE.dll/105
    O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\ONBttnIE.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Se&nd to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\ONBttnIE.dll
    O9 - Extra button: OneNote Lin&ked Notes - {789FE86F-6FC4-46A1-9849-EDE0DB0C95CA} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\ONBttnIELinkedNotes.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: OneNote Lin&ked Notes - {789FE86F-6FC4-46A1-9849-EDE0DB0C95CA} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\ONBttnIELinkedNotes.dll
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\D\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\D\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O15 - Trusted Zone: http://download.cnet.com
    O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\avgpp.dll
    O18 - Filter hijack: text/xml - {807573E5-5146-11D5-A672-00B0D022E945} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE14\MSOXMLMF.DLL
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\D\system32\browseui.dll
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\D\system32\browseui.dll
    O23 - Service: AVGIDSAgent - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\AVGIDSAgent.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG WatchDog (avgwd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\avgwdsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Forceware Web Interface (ForcewareWebInterface) - Apache Software Foundation - C:\PROGRA~1\NVIDIA~1\NETWOR~1\Apache Group\Apache2\bin\apache.exe
    O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
    O23 - Service: Logitech Process Monitor (LVPrcSrv) - Logitech Inc. - c:\program files\common files\logitech\lvmvfm\LVPrcSrv.exe
    O23 - Service: LVSrvLauncher - Logitech Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\SrvLnch\SrvLnch.exe
    O23 - Service: ForceWare IP service (nSvcIp) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NVIDIA~1\NETWOR~1\bin\nSvcIp.exe
    O23 - Service: ForceWare user log service (nSvcLog) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NVIDIA~1\NETWOR~1\bin\nSvcLog.exe
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\D\system32\nvsvc32.exe

--
    End of file - 8458 bytes

5. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

Hiya mezz.

Yes, I particulaly meant your anti-virus and AVG I`ve found is as good as any of them but open the GUI and start a full scan running and don`t touch it until it`s finished. The daily scan is really just a cursory check whereas a user-initiated full scan opens and checks all files and not just the shell ... (think zip files) which is also why it takes so much longer.

Jenny

6. mezzerooni

ok[ay, jenny-

thanks. will now run AVG full scan.

mezz

7. mezzerooni

uh, jenny-
    {expletives deleted by me}
    looks like i just deleted a fairly lengthy post. oh well, maybe this'll force me to slow down but be more concise....

when i returned to PC after an hour, AVG had completed full scan (did not include anything in a .ZIP file, though?)... it seems to be saying i have 2 infections. oddly enough, even the quick scan (i now believe) has been reporting the same 2- i was just misinterpreting or rushing through the report. when i saw 0/2 i figured it meant 0 infections, with 2 being something else of less importance. guess what it really means is 2 infections, with 0 having been done about them as yet. i'd delete them now, but am waiting for a possible interpretation and/or recommendations from you first.
    if i was NOT waiting for you, i would first delete the infected files, and then uninstall aimersoft.
    a-soft is a media file i downloaded at the approximate time my problems began. it didn't do what i needed it to do, but i didn't uninstall it because (a) i figured it might work better once my media issues were resolved, not realizing that (b) it may very well have been the cause of those issues, and also (c) because supposedly download.com tests everything before they
    post it.
    think that was about it (the deleted earlier post). and now here are the two infected items as listed in AVG's full scan:

"";"C:\Documents and Settings\Steve.MEZZROW-DC9E79F\desktop\Media\Aimersoft Video Converter Ultimate v4.0.2.0\Aimersoft.Video.Converter.Ultimate.4.0.2.0\Aimersoft.Video.Converter.Ultimate.4.0.2.0\aimer-video-ultimate_full523.exe:\$BK\Setup.1.2.exe";"May be infected by unknown virus Win32/DH.FF82006B{00040001-00204025-00000000}";"Infected"

"";"C:\Documents and Settings\Steve.MEZZROW-DC9E79F\desktop\Media\Aimersoft Video Converter Ultimate v4.0.2.0\Aimersoft.Video.Converter.Ultimate.4.0.2.0\Aimersoft.Video.Converter.Ultimate.4.0.2.0\aimer-video-ultimate_full523.exe";"May be infected by unknown virus Win32/DH.FF82006B{00040001-00204025-00000000}";"Infected"

";"C:\Documents and Settings\Steve.MEZZROW-DC9E79F\desktop\Media\Aimersoft Video Converter Ultimate v4.0.2.0\Aimersoft.Video.Converter.Ultimate.4.0.2.0\Aimersoft.Video.Converter.Ultimate.4.0.2.0\aimer-video-ultimate_full523.exe:\$BK\Setup.1.2.exe";"May be infected by unknown virus Win32/DH.FF82006B{00040001-00204025-00000000}";"Infected"

cheers-

mezz

8. mezzerooni

oops again-

third AVG full report is an accidental copy of the first one...disregard...

mezz

9. Firebreather

Firebreather

Have you tried updating the drivers?
    Unfortunately, it sound like a faulty drive to me. Can you try using the same drive on another computer?

10. mezzerooni

firebreather-

i'm curious which of my descriptions suggests a faulty drive to you. if i told you that a week ago my main issue was a loud humming/buzzing sound that was always there on startup you'd probably been even more certain. but it always stopped if, after letting it run for 5 minutes, i gave it a sharp rap on the top of the tower.
    i let a local tech listen to the sound, and he positively identified it as being caused by an out-of-balance power supply fan. and now it stops making the sound without the sharp rap after running for a couple of hours. also, as i reported in the start of this thread, i ran chkdsk overnight and it indicated the drive is "clean", which i assumed meant the drive is still okay.
    but what a weird array of problems! hard to imagine them not being caused by a virus or a faulty drive.
    as i mentioned in my previous post, i'm going to delete the infection identified by AVG and see if that improves things. i also still need to see if the "E" drive itself could be faulty. but it's hard to imagine both the E drive and the cd/dvd drive becoming hooped at the same time. unless what wrecked a hard drive took a little longer to wreck the cd/dvd drive.
    (also, i don't have access just now to another PC, but can probably arrange to borrow one.)

thanks for weighing in on this, and please let me know if i'm misinterpreted anything you''ve suggested.

11. mezzerooni

dang, firebreather- forgot to mention that windows reports all drivers are up-to-date (did so within the last week, anyway- might try again.)

mezz

12. mezzerooni

hi, to anyone still out tlhere-

i let AVG delete the two "possible viruses", then uninstalled aimersoft, the program associated with one or possibly both of the possible viruses. hoave also since fiddled around some more with jumpers and cables. at present i'm seeing double, but am grateful i still have my "C" drive! even that disappeared a time or two during the fiddling process.

as a PS- at one point yesterday i tried something (no, i don't remember what it was) and when i first clicked on "my computer", there was my "D" drive! but only for maybe 20 seconds, and then it disappeared.
    should also mention that i tried a system restore to a point appr. a week ago, when i had just uninstalled maybe 10 nero programs and regained proper sound. but the PC was unable to do the restore. i'll probably try againif this all keeps up, but it's hard to know what date to choose without doing further damage or causing further confusion.

also: can someone suggest a way to expose my HJT to a wider audience of possible interpreters?

thanks,

mezz

13. dukevyner

dukevyner

... sorry about not answering... i'm used to a better notification system on forums and forget to check the posts i'm on...forgive me? :D anyway.. certainly there's nothing wrong with the drives... but i'm also doubting that its a virus... you're main hard drive shows up right? why would a virus hide the potentially unimportant slave drives to scare you or to really mess with you it'd remove all of them... although i'm sure someone will correct me... lets go to basics... try checking bios and see if anything listed in the "primary slave" slot (most likely on the "main" page)... depending on your computer the bios can be accessed by pressing "F10"(most likely) OR "del" OR "esc" you can check which by watching the screens on boot, before the windows screen you should see the name of your bios manufacturer and a "press F10(or whatever) to enter bios" or "... to enter set up" if you don't see this... nothing beats tapping the F10 key until you see a bios screen witch is commonly blue and white some thing like this[​IMG]

notice how this one has "HDD1: HDD2: HDD3:" see if all your devices show up here if so than... its DEFINITIVELY not a virus.. if they do show up i'd try booting in safe mode and see if the drives don't show up again if the don't this means its not a virus... as safe mode only allow system files(and important files) to run

or [​IMG]

if the bios looks like this^^^ i believe but am not sure you should select cmos setup

14. Firebreather

Firebreather

This:

A friend of mine had a nearly similar problem. The DVD drive was installed separately. Within a month it had nearly similar symptoms. Since it was still under warranty, he took it to the manufacturers (Sony) who said its a faulty drive and replaced it.
    Its over a year now, he has no problems.

Anyway your problem may have nothing to do with it.

Wish you luck! (y)

15. mezzerooni

thanks for the replies-

to update-
    last night i did some more re-jigging and swapping of old cables, set everything back to cable select, and installed the slave drive from my dell parts tower in place of my slave drive. when i rebooted, there it was! still no cd/dvd drive however. i intend to try a different cable for that later on. as to the slave- the computer is now calling it my "D" rather than my "E" drive. i assume they just name what they can see in alphabetical order...? wonder if my cd drive will become "E" when (if) i ever get it back.
    a question before i get into the BIOS stuff. is it weird that my HDs are pluigged into the secondary IDE rather than the primary? (cd unit is plugged into primary). i mean, it's been working okay for years (except when it isn't!), but i'm wondering if swapping them might make a positive difference.

as to BIOS- that is probably the biggest no-man's land in my computer knowledge- the final frontier, i sometimes think. i've only ever poked around very cautiously in there, but always left because i'm just not confident i'm not screwing things up worse.
    so i will very much welcome help such as you are offering, duke. despite my ignorance, i am beginning to have reason to suspect my real problems lie there. especially stuff like confused jumper settings. so my plan today is to read over what you've sent me (especially the links) and see if there might be some resolution as a result.

thanks again- maybe this is the breakthrough.

mezz

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!