1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC won't shut down

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Bradk, Dec 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bradk

Bradk Thread Starter

SETTING UP A NEW PC........AMD K6-2/400.......this damn PC will not shut down. It sets up just fine and everything works just fine. But the darn thing won't shut down. This is kinda vague, but any ideas to start with???????? I have reloaded Windows three times!!!!

2. LadyLisa

LadyLisa

Bradk

Do you get any type of error message?
    You could also check the front panel hookups on your mobo, particularly the Reset and Power switch leads.

3. jmatt

jmatt

4. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

Are you by anychance running windowsME?

5. Bradk

Bradk Thread Starter

1.) I am running Windows 98 SE.... 2.) There are no error messages; the computer just gets to the "Windows is shutting down" screen with the BIG Microsoft LOGO and will never go any farther. It DOES NOT go to the screen where it says, "it is now safe to turn off your computer". However when I turn the computer off and on it has no problem coming right up. Again no errors and NO scandisk. Now the question I have is what tells the computer to shut down automatically. In other words, what TURNS the computer off as apposed to pushing the power button like you would have to do in the old days. Is it a setting on the motherboard, ie. "ATX", "AT" style case. I HAVE NEVER UNDERSTOOD THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO. Maybe someone could explain this too. 3.) I have not hooked up any of the wires that control the reset button, the power LED, etc.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

7. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

it is an annoying problem and a lot of windowsME users get it and microsoft are well aware of the situation there has been lots of discussion on here about it but if you want a quick fix that works everytime for me hold down the CTRL key while shutting down not solving the problem of course but does the job just the same ....

8. Bradk

Bradk Thread Starter

I hope all had a great NEW YEAR!! Okay.....here is the lastest. I have downloaded the Shutdown supplement....and now it goes to the screen that says "it is now safe to shutdown your computer" this is a good thing. Now I would like to know if it is suppose to AUTOMATICALLY suppose to shutdown... How can I determine this????? I thought that an AMD k6 2/400 was suppose to. Thanks again!!!

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Yes it is supposed to automatically power down. Although there are some people who like to do it themselves. When they ask, I tell them to disable (or set to "no") APM in their BIOS setup. Check yours. If it is disabled, enable it. Look for the option in the Power Management setup page.

10. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:rolleyes: Actually,it depends on the power supply. If you have an AT power supply, it will have two connectors that plug into the mobo's power connector while an ATX only has one. An AT power supply will always give you the "It is now safe to turn off your computer" message. It will not allow for automatic power off. The reason is that it does not have an integrated "switch" in the power supply itself to interpret a signal from the mobo to turn off. An ATX power supply on the other hand has this internal switch or circuit. Please note that some mobo's have both of the connection types available, however the power supply itself will be one type or the other, not both. You will not get the "IT is safe to turn off.... screen with an ATX power supply. Hope this helps. KW1

11. Bradk

Bradk Thread Starter

Well let me first say that all the responses have been very helpful. It is always important for me to hear all the possible options. I've learned a couple things I did not know previously. Thanks and I'll let ya know if the PC comes out okay. Thanks Again!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63608

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice