1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

pc won't start after installing kingwin arctic liquid cooling system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dimamo1983, Mar 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dimamo1983

dimamo1983 Thread Starter

So, I took apart my PC (XP 2600+, MSI K7N2 Delta L mobo) to quiet it down using Kingwin's Arctic liquid cooling kit and after I put it all back together, it would not start. When I turn it on, it powers up for like a second or even less than that and then shuts down. The fans are spinning and I can see the liquid starting to move and the temperature on Kingwin front panel says 25C (not sure if it's actual or if it's a default reading when the unit is just powered on). There are no beeps from pc speaker, just a beep from Kingwin cooler and then the system shuts down...

I was thinking that the cooling kit might be draining the PS(Vigor 450W) too much since I don't think the CPU would get so hot in under a second that the system would shut down because of CPU overheating (and the cooling block on CPU still feels cold). So, I disconnected all my drives, pci cards, took out the vidoe card, took out memory (everything one at time of course) and still exactly the same result.

After that I decided to unplug the cooling block (so at this point I only had the motherboard plugged in into the PS) and turned the system on. Once again, it shut down in under a second (the CPU block is still cold)...

I thought that since I don't have a cpu fan plugged into the CFAN connector on my mobo, it might think that there is no fan at all and shut down because of that, so I plugged in one of my case fans in there and it did not change anything.

One more thing. Yesterday, before I took it all apart, I put the liquid cooling kit together and hooked up to the PS (with CPU fan/heatsink still installed on CPU) to test it out outside the case, and everything seemed to work fine...

Any other ideas?

thanks a lot,

dima

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Did you have the motherboard out of the case?

Sounds like a motherboard shorting to case problem

3. dimamo1983

yea, I had to take everything out... I was thinking about this but did not get a chance to check it before going to work, will see if there is a screw or something stuck in the back

thanks,

dima

4. qldit

qldit

Sounds like your power supply is being kicked off, probably by some processor / board problem. Try removing all ide and associated leads from the board, leave only the system speaker and "on" switch leads connected. (Pinouts on corner of M/board)
    Remove all cards except the video card.
    Ensure the memory is properly fitted.
    Ensure both M/board power leads are fitted properly, the larger connector is general power and the smaller square one is processor core power. (if it is present)
    Plug in your monitor and apply power to the computer, you should get a beep and some info on the screen.
    Your processor can exist for a few seconds while you try this with no cooling but the idea is to progress by trial and error, so do not leave the cooling disconnected for any longer than ten seconds or so.
    Many of these newer systems will not allow power to be applied if there is an excess power drain or if there is a board problem. Some power supplies also auto switch off if there is a load problem. This can even be caused by a reversed IDE lead.
    Do not under any circumstances add or remove cards while the system is powered, or at any time there is a powered lead plugged into the machine. Even though the machine may not be running the PCI slots are usually powered and you can cause damage.
    Generally to check a M/board you will need to have processor, memory and a video card fitted.
    If you can determine basic operation is ok, try connecting one accessory at a time.
    Hope this helps,
    Cheers, qldit

5. wedor

wedor

10 seconds would be a lifetime to some CPU's and the last you ever saw of it as a usable component.

6. Shairel

Shairel

this could also happen if the mainboard detects that there is no spinning fan plugged into cpu fan

7. qldit

qldit

Well the heatsink usually remains able to conduct sufficient heat even if the fan or fluid is not operating.
    I am not referring to operating the processor as a bare unit, I thought that would remain understood.
    Cheers, qldit

8. wedor

wedor

Better safe than sorry in this case, I didn't want someone reading that without that clarification, thanks.

9. qldit

qldit

The description of the fan starting but immediately shutting down would tend to infer that the problem would be more profound than a fan motion sensing detection problem. From my experience these would often appear with a warning of some kind during boot, or an overheat shutdown if the fan were not running or had become loose or apart from the heatsink.
    The limiting settings may of course have altered in CMOS if the battery had been removed for any period, but the assumption would be that had been untouched.
    Again these would allow startup indication if they were affected.
    However these things are a lot of fun don't you think?
    Cheers, qldit

10. wedor

wedor

That behavior would be consistent with a no fan situation, it is not enough to plug just any fan in it would have to be one with an rpm sensor.

11. Y4J

Y4J

Do you think it could be your processor?

12. Dreambringer

Dreambringer

I was going to say the same thing.. lose'n some of the screws on the MB and try that... happened to me before..

13. dimamo1983

hey guys, thanks for all suggestions however it still does not seem to work :(

I guess I should of said that I have had this system working for over a year and a half now, so I don't think there is a CPU/mobo compatibility issue, especially since I have not removed the CPU when I took it all apart. Also, every single component have performed well so far before I decided to quiet it down.

Unfortunately, it does not seem to be a grounding issue since I took out all the screws and leaned the board inside the case so there was at least a good half an inch between it and the mounting pannel and there were no screws or any other objects stuck between the two. This did not change anything. I carefully looked over the mobo to see if there could be something stuck to it or what not causing something to short and did not see anything.

I diconnected all but Power Switch and Speaker case connectors. Ensured that both Mobo power supply leads are fitted properly, inserted the video card and one of my memory sticks, disconnected the cooler and all the drives. Turned it on and still the same thing. I don't get anything on the screen because it is literally less than a second before it shuts down. Neither I hear any cries for help from good ol' pc speaker.

I tried connecting both the case fan as well as my old heatsink/fan combo (with RPM info) to the CFAN connector and that did not change anything either.

I've also cleared CMOS (even thou I haven't messed with BIOS for at least half a year now) just for the heck of it and still no luck...

And as much fun as it is, sometimes I wonder why can't it just work, but then again, how much fun would that be... ;-)

Any other suggestions? I really don't want to take it all apart again because it took me a looooong while to put the cooling stuff in there...

thanks
    dima

14. dimamo1983

I guess the only thing I could think of that could be shorting is if the temperature probe that i attached to cpu cooling block fell off and is now shorting the cpu itself :confused: :confused: :confused:

dima

15. dimamo1983

So, I decided to go ahead and take it apart today... Turns out when I attached the temperature probe under the CPU block, the cord got stuck between one of those rubber thingies on CPU and the block so the cooling block was never in contact with cpu at all (the thermal paste on cpu was not "touched" at all)... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Works like a charm now... thanks guys (y)

dima

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/342501

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice