1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Won't start - Black screen; blinking cursor?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mackmackn, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mackmackn

mackmackn Thread Starter

Hello all, I am hoping someone will be able to help me here...

So the other day, my laptop (Toshiba Satellite A200) is going along happy as a clam, and I shut it down to leave for the day. When I get back that night, I press the power button and go to make some tea as it boots up but when I get back ten minutes later, there is nothing but this damned blinking "_" in the corner of the screen.

I tried leaving it over night to see if it was just being obscenely slow, but to no avail. The next day I made a copy of Hiren's Boot Disk on my sister's computer on the recommendation of one of my friends, on which I used the "Boot from hard disk - Windows Vista/7". So the good news is that I am able to start the computer that way - I'm using it right now - but only using the boot disk. I tried doing a repair with my Windows 7 installation disk, but it couldn't find any problems.

I'm out of ideas now, any help?

2. indianacarnie

indianacarnie

Have you tried running sfc/scannow?
    Open task manager,click file (upper lefthand ) pick new task(run), type in cmd. In the command prompt type sfc/scannow
    It will check your files and repair corrupted ones. re-boot when finished.

3. mackmackn

mackmackn Thread Starter

Thanks, I did the scan but still with the same problem. :(

4. AbrarZarifi

AbrarZarifi

Try to Start your System in Safe mode and restore the system definitely your problem w'll be solve
    for got Safe mode restat de system and continue press F8
    Gud luck

5. indianacarnie

indianacarnie

Guess I have to agree with AbrarZarifi here. Either that or just go ahead and re-install.
    I had a somewhat similar problem (black screen except for cursor) but mine was due to explorer.exe not running and the sfc/scannow fixed it for me. Have you ran malwarebytes in safe mode yet by any chance? If it's due to evil software that should get it.

6. vicks

vicks

Try the following:
    While computer is booting, continously/gently tap the F8 key. This should open the safe mode. If it does use the arrow keys to move up to the "last known good configuration" choice. click enter. Let the computer do it's thing. If this works I suggest that you update and run your anti virus, and anti malware/spyware programs. Then, open computer, right click on your "C drive" select properties. Click on tools tab, click on error checking. A box with to places to check will pop up, be sure both are checked. You will be asked if you want it to run the next time you boot computer. Select yes. Restart the computer. This can take anything from a few minutes to hours, so you will have to be patient.
    Post back and let us know how it goes.
    Vicks

7. mackmackn

mackmackn Thread Starter

Is there another way to get to the Safe Mode menu? Tapping the F8 key only made it make that hideous beep, and it still went to the black screen.

8. vicks

vicks

since you can open system using the boot disk, when you get the open window press the windows logo key and r at the same time. When the command window opens type sfc/scannow tap the enter key. Let it run and repair anything it finds. This could take quite a while.
    vicks

9. mackmackn

mackmackn Thread Starter

Yeah, still the same result. Maybe it's time to buckle down and reinstall Windows?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972706

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice