PC won't start when PCI card (TL-WDN4800) installed

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Wheatley

When I try to boot it up with the card installed, I get nothing, maybe a little twitch of the fans if I'm lucky. But after taking it out, my computer works fine again. I googled it and it said to install the drivers first, however the website and the CD both won't let me do it if the card isn't installed.

System is Windows 10, motherboard is Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3

The space looks a little tight, so I wondered if maybe that was a problem, here's a picture so show what I mean, it's possible there's some contact between the fan case and the card, I don't know if that would cause a short, perhaps.

Thanks for any help

cwwozniak

Chuck
According to the GA-78LMT-USB specifications, the black connector in the photo is a PCI socket, not a PCIexpress socket. The TL-WDN4800 has a PCIexpress-1 interface and will NOT work in a PCI socket.

EDIT: The PCIexpress-1 socket is under Video Card's fan frame. The Twin Frozr III takes up two expansion slots of space.

Last edited:

Wheatley

Ok great, at least I can put that to bed. Is there a wireless card that will work in that empty slot?

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
So without giving up your good graphics card you can buy a PCI wireless card or a USB wireless adapter.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You appear to have revision 5 or revision 6 of the Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 motherboard.

rev5.JPG rev6.JPG

Both revisions have these expansion slots:
PCI Express x16 (used for modern graphics card)
PCI Express x1 (used for other modern add-on cards)
PCI (used for old technology add-on cards)

Rob is correct.
Because of the size and width of that MSI graphics card, it's covering the PCI Express x1 slot.
You can't use that TP-Link wireless card, so you're pretty much stuck with using an external USB wireless adapter.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Wheatley

If you get an external adapter then it simply uses a USB port to connect, here's some newer USB Wireless-AC models from TP-Link: http://www.tplink.ca/en/products/list-11.html?filterby=4809,4851&page=1

You can get a PCI card as well but I think they only support Wireless-N and you wouldn;t be able to re-use it in a newer PC since PCI is kinda dead.
The USB card I have now tends to disconnect itself at random, sometimes temporarily shutting off all my USB devices. I think it may be overheating because it feels very warm when I pull it out right after. Do those ones have that same problem?

I remember seeing articles about USB wireless devices over heating and where some people actually added home made heat sinks.
Check reviews on some to make sure they don't over heat.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online