1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC wont start with pwr jumper, power supply fine

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SpaceCore, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpaceCore

SpaceCore Thread Starter

I have a pc that's been sitting for about 2 years now, worked great before. Went to plug it back in and it won't start. I assumed the power supply was at fault at first. The green standby light is lit on the motherboard, but just to test I jumped the green and black cables on the 24 pin connector and everything worked great. Reset the CMOS, still no luck. Then I went to check the power switch by jumping the two PWR SW prongs with a screwdriver.

Now here's the weird part, it started up fine the first 2 times. Went to connect the monitor and start it back up with the screwdriver...nothing. I used a different tool to jump the switch, and strangely it worked just fine again. Now, its back to not working, tried several different metal tools and nothing. I have no idea why the switch is only working intermittently? I just tested everything again by jumping the 24 pin connector and that still works just fine.

2. SpaceCore

SpaceCore Thread Starter

Update:

Even more weird, I've found if I jump the green and black wires on the 24 pin, pc starts, remove the jump, pc shuts down, then I'm able to jump the PWR switch and the pc starts as its supposed to. I've tested this 3 times and it never fails
    Why would the switch only work after jumping then removing the jump on the 24 pin???

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029857

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice