Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
488 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  lunarlander 
#1 ·
Hello,
I need help diagnosing/solving why my PC doesn't start. B4 some one throws out the obvious yes its plugged in and turned on. I'll start the story from the top.
Specs:
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 04G-P4-3966-KR 4GB
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P (rev. 2.0) AM3+ AMD 970
CPU: AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
PSU: Rosewill CAPSTONE 1000M 1000W Modular
HDD: Toshiba 1.5 TB don't know the model off hand (Pulled from old build)
SSD: GIGABYTE UD PRO 512GB 64 layer 3D TLC NAND

So windows was initially installed on the C Drive of the Toshiba HDD. I purchased a new SSD to transfer windows to it. I wanted to transfer because my boot was taking a solid 2-3 min and then another 5min after I log into windows. By this I mean that I would log in to windows then I wouldn't be able to do anything for about 5 minutes. Looking at the task manager at during this wait time there are always windows services using 100% of the drive so I figured it must be getting old time to upgrade. Long story short my transfer of windows was unsuccessful to the SSD and I just persisted with the slowness. Fast forward about a month (couple days ago), my PC randomly shuts off and starts back up on its own. I log back in and write it off as a weird one time thing. About 10 min go by, it shuts off and starts up again. Then before I could log in it shut off again, and then TRIED to turn on. I say tried as in fans are on, led for the case is on, but no visuals. Run the usual checks: plugged in, wires, clean some dust, in short nothing works. PC doesn't even turn off with power button when pressed for extended period of time have to use switch in back to get it off. So I go the extra mile and unplug and plugin all the hardware. Turn it on and viola cant find boot device.(From one problem to the next) Go through whole process of trying to fix "No boot device" error. Bios recognized the drive but wasn't finding boot files. Got a recovery flash drive to use command prompt to try and fix(didn't work). Keep in mind the PC never once shut back down or restarted during this particular problem. Finally said screw it and wiped the SSD (Didn't have much data on it anyway) and fresh installed windows on the SSD. SUCCESS! Computer boots, it finds boot drive on SSD, boot is super quick, and all the files from HDD are still there and accessible. This is when I thought I was done and was happy, downloaded Lol cause I hadn't played in like 4 Days (Diagnosing Boot error)also makes for a quick easy test . Start up a queue annnnnnd crash. Shut down restarts all on its own (back to square one). It does this a few times, with random lengths of time before each crash. Turned off "auto restart on crash" setting. Still does it. On the last 2 times it did it I didn't even get to log into windows before it crashed. Now I am currently at a point where it turns on, fans are on, led are on, no mouse no keyboard, no monitor. Changed the ram around, no help, disconnected CD drive, no help.

Last things I haven't tried are:
CMOS Battery
Start without HDD
Test PSU

I know all these parts are about 4-5 years old, but I haven't really ever had a problem until now. I have a sneaking suspicion it might be the PSU. No real evidence to back that up just a hunch. I am lost at this point though. I plan to try the above things when I get home, but I would love input from anyone who might be able to tell me what is going on. Or and advice at all on how to fix what it might be. Thank you.

See less See more
#2 ·
Did you use the MS Media Creation Tool to generate a Windows setup disk/usb memory stick and used that for install ?

Since the crash started after you installed L0L, then the problem could be the LOL game.

Boot with the Windows setup media, on the second screen, choose Repair. Once Windows can boot. Uninstall LOL. Go download a fresh update version. Install and run it to test if it crashes again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.