PC won't turn on after unplugging

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BenMacTavish

Hello, I have a weird problem with my PSU (or so I think)

If I turn off and unplug my computer but plug it back immediately and press the power button, It doesn't turn on. I have to unplug it again and wait for about 20-30 minutes to get it working again. Usually, I didn't want to turn it on again after shutting down so I didn't notice this. However, recently I needed to turn it on and off to fix an issue with my GPU, where I noticed the issue.

This is where it started to get weird.. I'll explain every step I did.

1. I used the computer for a while, shut it down, and unplugged.
  2. I opened the case and heard a ticking sound (It's very close to the ticking of a clock.)
  3. The sound came from PSU.
  4. I blew towards the PSU fan (I don't know why I did that) and the ticking frequency increased for a while, then the yellow bulb on my MoBo lighted up briefly for about a second...
  5. I plugged it in again, and the PC turned on again.

I think this is very strange behavior, please help me to figure this out...

Additional Info:
  • Unfortunately, I don't know the model or anything about PSU (I bought this prebuilt)
  • Motherboard: wolfNfox computer IPMSB-H61, ver 1.00

managed

Allan
Sounds like a PSU problem.

If possible as a test connect a different PSU, swap all the cables from the original PSU for cables on the 'new' PSU, you can probably do it without removing the original PSU from the case.

BenMacTavish

Sounds like a PSU problem.

If possible as a test connect a different PSU, swap all the cables from the original PSU for cables on the 'new' PSU, you can probably do it without removing the original PSU from the case.
Thanks for the reply. Currently, I do not have another PSU, I'll try to borrow one from a friend, but until the curfew ends, I cannot go out.

How much would it cost to replace my PSU if it is faulty? I think it is 500W..

managed

Allan
See if you can find details about the PSU on it's case, and the PC model name. If it's an HP PC you may need to get an identical replacement PSU because they used a non-standard connector to the motherboard.

BenMacTavish

I think it's an HP desktop, with this motherboard :- https://support.hp.com/ph-en/document/c03069802

To check what hardware is in that PC please run this on it then copy and paste the blue text it creates into your reply :- https://static.techguy.org/download/tsginfo.exe
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 16299, Installed 20200523012829.000000+330
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 4 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 2033 MB
Hard Drives: C: 100 GB (9 GB Free); D: 182 GB (44 GB Free); E: 182 GB (27 GB Free);
Motherboard: wolfNfox computer IPMSB-H61, ver 1.00
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver wolfox - 1072009
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

See if you can find details about the PSU on its case, and the PC model name. If it's an HP PC you may need to get an identical replacement PSU because they used a non-standard connector to the motherboard.
I cannot see anything in the case or PSU (inside and outside). There's a badge with 'COLORSit Orange' on the case, I don't know if it is the PC model or case model or something.

managed

Allan
After looking at the link in my post #6 again it seems to be a standard ATX connector so you should be able to use a normal PSU.

You never said where you live. That motherboard seems to be sold in Brazil.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online