1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved PC wont turn on while CPU/Ram is connected

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Eduardkio, Feb 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Eduardkio

Eduardkio Thread Starter

I have been having problems with my PC. It turns on for about 8 seconds before turning off and repeating the process. I've done everything I've read online. I've gotten a new motherboard, Tried a new psu, tried new ram, tried new HDD, got new PSU cables, uninstalled my CPU fan to check if there was a short anywhere, also checked all around the motherboard for a short, the PC stays on (With no display ofcourse) when the ram or CPU is disconnected. And yes I've disconnected and tried different graphics cards aswell even tought I know that wouldnt help. If the ram ain't connected even if the cpu is, it stays on and vice versa. I was told that a damaged CPU would NOT cause my PC to fail turning on. I'm out of ideas and I've been on this for a week now. Could anyone help me?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    From what you have stated, everything has been swapped at least once except for the cpu. So my first thought would be a faulty cpu (or a cpu not supported by the motherboard).

3. Eduardkio

Eduardkio Thread Starter

Thank you, so a faulty CPU could actually make the system fail to turn on? I've been avoiding it since I was told it was impossible. But if so, I am willing to try and post my results.

4. lynx1021

lynx1021

Need all your specs, If the pins in the socket or on the CPU are bent, shorting it could keep you system from turning on. How does it stay on with the PSU disconnected?? That's a good one!

5. Eduardkio

Eduardkio Thread Starter

CPU my bad! Haha.

Motherboard: MPG Z390 Carbon
    PSU: Corsair 750 Gold
    Graphics: Gigabyte 1070 Windforce
    Processor: Intel core i7 6700 3.40Ghz
    Stock cooler
    Ram: SK hynix 16gb Ram(1x16)

6. Eduardkio

Eduardkio Thread Starter

Wish I could had gotten you all the actual specs but I really cant access the info without it turning on :/ also if you need anything else let me know, I'm kinda new to this.

7. lynx1021

lynx1021

Ok, let me understand, it was running fine and you started having boot problems? You said you changed the motherboard, was it the same as the original? Please read "Troubleshooting Guide for "Problem Builds" https://forums.techguy.org/threads/troubleshooting-guide-for-problem-builds.580000/ Try the "You assembled the system, and it will not post" section about setting up outside the case.
    Update, it appears that the Intel core i7 6700 3.40Ghz Is NOT! compatible with your MPG Z390 Carbon board! Her is the link for compatible CPUs. https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-Z390-GAMING-PRO-CARBON#support-cpu

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  8. Eduardkio

Eduardkio Thread Starter

Thank you!, weirdly my last motherboard did support it, it was a stock Intel motherboard from a premade Intel PC. Makes me wonder if that motherboard died and now the new one works but doesnt support my i7? Or could it be something else? Uff. This has been quite a ride. Thank you very much, I'll see if I can check it with a new compatible CPU. Cant thank you enough. I'll post the results.

9. lynx1021

lynx1021

Your welcome, Back when I bought my old 775 board I picked it because of the wide range of CPU support , old Pentium 4 to a Core quad extreme. Your board does support some of the newest CPU's( I9's) I guess they had to sacrifice back ward compatibility to support the newest stuff.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223381

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice