1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pc wont turn on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sriram1501, Jul 13, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. Sriram1501

Sriram1501 Thread Starter

Computer was working fine at first. I installer a pcie card for wireless connection beside the slot for the graphics card. Then when i tried to turn my computer on again, there was no output on my monitor, my monitor couldnt detect anything at all from the desktop despite being connected to the correct port and being on the correct channel(hdmi). The desktop then beeps 5 times, pauses, then beeps 5 times again. This continues for a long time. The beeps are kinda long like each beep lasts like 2ish seconds. Please help me figure this out! Oh and no this didnt happen after installing pci drivers or anything,i didnt get to do it cuz this happened immediately after i installed the pcie card and tried to turn my computer on. Thank you

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi Sriram1501, and welcome to TSG. The 5 long beeps would usually indicate that the motherboard has failed at some portion of the Power On Self Test (POST). The exact meaning will depend on the exact brand and model number of the motherboard. If the computer is from a major computer manufacture it should also be possible to determine the meaning of the 5 long beeps based on the manufacturer and the full model number of the computer.

3. Sriram1501

B
    But the fans and all are working. And all this only happened after i installed the pcie card. Could there have been something i did wrong?

4. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    If you remove the card, does it boot up normally?

5. Sriram1501

No still 5 beeps

6. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Could you have bumped the video card? Try to remove and reseat it.

What kind of PC is it?

7. Sriram1501

Does anything seem off? I removed the ram in this picture cuz i alr tried shifting the ram into all 4 slots and the beeping still occurs and no output is on my monitor.

Attached Files:

8. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    I can't see anything well enough to tell. Check your motherboard manual to determine which slots the RAM should occupy. If nothing changes, try to install just two DIMMs, per the motherboard manual configuration for two.

9. Sriram1501

Can u see it now? I only have 1 memory module

Attached Files:

10. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Everything appears to be in place. I do question whether the motherboard manual explicitly indicates placing a single RAM module in slot 4. It may not matter, but check the book.
    Have you tried to remove and reinsert the video card? Does the motherboard have onboard graphics that you can remove the card and test with?
    What make/model is the motherboard?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1212878

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice