1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC wont turn on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by YoureWithStupid, Apr 22, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. YoureWithStupid

YoureWithStupid Thread Starter

Hi, so my computer wont turn on. It acted kind of weird last week, it wouldnt start, but kept on trying continuously by itself after I pressed the power button once. But now, nothing happens. The motherboard is powered, all LEDs are ON (the ones that normally are when the PC is turned off.

I tried to clear CMOS, held down the power button for 30 seconds, turn of the power supply completely for a whole night, I tried to use the power button that is directly on the mobo, but nothing worked.

I read online that it might be the motherboard that died, but I wanted to try other options first before buying another one.

My PC is custom built from 2015 and runs on Windows 10, I had a few minor problems before, like very often when I turned it on, it would turn off immediately, then 5 seconds later turn on without any problems. My power supply is 1000W and I dont have that many peripherals so I dont think that the power capacity is the problem.

Thanks for your help! Don't hesitate if you have any question.

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

When I run across a situation like this, I take it back down to bare bones out on a table. Nothing but:

motherboard (on a non-conductive surface),
    CPU (w/heatsink and fan),
    RAM,
    PSU,
    video, keyboard and mouse.

Remove the CMOS battery for several minutes and then pop it back in.

Now see if it will boot into the BIOS. If not, try different PSU and/or RAM first. If it is still failing though, there really isn't much left to blame but the motherboard.

If you do get into the BIOS though, reset the BIOS to factory default and then try running an Operating System (*nix) from a bootable USB flash drive. Exercise it some (on the web) and then leave it running overnight.

If it's still where you left it the night before, power down, hook up your drive with Windows on it and try the same, (exercise it, web, games, whatever), and leave it running overnight.

If it's fine the next morning, power down and reassemble everything back in the case. As you continue beyond the bare minimum, only add one or two pieces of hardware at a time and then power up and test to make sure what was added isn't causing problems. Power down add one or two more and test ... ... you get the idea ...

Lanctus likes this.
  3. YoureWithStupid

YoureWithStupid Thread Starter

I removed everything. Put everything back and it went back to "normal" but it still shuts down and reboots a few times on its own before fully booting. Sometimes I am logging in and it reboots. I noticed (might be random) but when I hit the PC (not hard), it triggers the reboot. This might help us to find the problem? Might be a short-circuit somewhere. Thanks!

4. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Yep, sounds like it. That's why the take it back down to the bare bones instructions above ... to help locate problems like that. The software will never work right on flaky hardware.

5. lynx1021

lynx1021

I saw a video on YouTube Cary Holzmans channel and he had one that did random reboots and it turned out to be a bad reset switch on the front of the case. The case had a start and a reset button.

6. replay

replay

Leave it barebones on a box for a week and see if issue still persists
    If all ok. Something in the case must be issue
    Morning issues???? Standoffs??

7. replay

replay

Mounting issues !!!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1226121

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice