1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pc wont turn on.......`

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FeliNeli, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FeliNeli

FeliNeli Thread Starter

Hello, my other pc wont turn on. Well I suppose it does turn on but makes a horrible 'beep, beep, beep' sound continuously. First it (the pc) would cut off by its self and when rebooted we would have a error message that read:

Durning the last boot-up your systems hung for an improper CPU speed setting. Your system is now working in safe mode. To optimize the system performance the system and reliability, make sure the CPU speed conforms to the specifications of your CPU.

It was doing the beep thing off and on. And when giving it time or after multiple times of turning it off and on the pc would finally boot up and continue with the above message. I then would default everything and it would be ok at least for the time being until it decided to cut off by itself again.
    Anyways, my pc seems to have a ghost in it or a mind of its own. So could someone please help me out in trying to exsplain this to me? I would greatly appreciate it.

2. ace_coffee

ace_coffee

Have you done any mods recently? or changes to the BIOS?

see here: http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm for beep codes. It does matter how many beeps you are hearing as to what the actual problem may be.

3. telegramsam

telegramsam

This would be something to start with:

http://www.memtest86.com/

Also, open the case and check the connections. Make sure the RAM is seated, all PCI cards are seated and electrical, IDE and SATA connectors are seated.

4. FeliNeli

FeliNeli Thread Starter

:confused: thanks for the site. I turned back on the pc and began to count beaps but stopped on about 46 because it just kept going and going. Now I am very confused. According to the site you referred me to there might be a problem with the RAM. UGGHHHH!!! i so dont know what to do. Do I need to purchase a new part or something?

5. bonk

bonk Banned

I would re-seat the Ram (memory) in that PC and see.......take them out blow the slots out and put it back in.Re-start the PC.

6. ace_coffee

ace_coffee

Did you try telegramsam's suggestion yet?
    Let us know what you find out from that test.

7. telegramsam

telegramsam

No, this is a test to determine IF there is a problem. I'm not saying that's what it is.

If this is an intermittent problem and you can't diagnose it from POST beeps, you've got some testing to do to narrow down the problem. But you don't want to just start buying stuff until you find the culprit.

Just take a breath, relax. Start with checking ALL if the connections inside the case. Make sure that any peripherals like printers, USB devices, etc are disconnected. Then remove and carefully reseat the RAM.

You'll have to get past the post beeps to even do the memtest...so start with our instructions above.

8. bigbear

bigbear

It could be the heat sink fan is playing up and the cpu is overheating.
    Take of the side panel and check to see if the cpu fan is spinning ok.
    Go into bios and check your system temps, post back what they report

9. FeliNeli

FeliNeli Thread Starter

ok.. sorry about that but OMG was the inside dirty!! it took me awhile to carefully remove all the dust. It looks as if a family of spiders took over the inside of the pc. lol.
    Anyways, the pc is not beeping anymore. i turned it on and now it is at the page I said before:
    During the last boot-up your system hung for an improper CPU speed etc.

10. telegramsam

telegramsam

Go into your BIOS and select the option to "load defaults".

I have that same board and sometimes it tells me an overclock failed--but I've never overclocked it!! So give that a try and see if the message goes away.

You should also check your temps while you're in the BIOS--should be under hardware monitoring. Also, finish your cleaning, make sure the heat sink is blown completely out. Those P4's run pretty hot by nature, so cleaning at LEAST bi-monthly is required. Monthly is better. Also be sure the heat sink is seated flat and level. Don't remove it or anything, just visually inspect it.

11. FeliNeli

FeliNeli Thread Starter

sorry for the delay in reply. So now I feel like a complete idiot. :) I had to go get some more canned air to finish dusting and after dusting all the fans completly the computer is working normally again. Thank you so very much for all your help. If anything else fails I will be back.
    My best regards...

12. bonk

bonk Banned

Your up and running.....glad to hear.

13. telegramsam

telegramsam

Remember--once a month if you can!!
    Good job!

14. brite750

brite750

PETA will be contacting you about the spiders

15. brite750

brite750

some people laughed at me about my clear sided case with lights but thats how you tell its time to clean, when you cant see through the glass, its time

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537982

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice