1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC won't turn on!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jazzt1, Dec 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jazzt1

jazzt1 Thread Starter

Please help:

My PC has started to not turn on. Checked that nothing was loose inside, checked the fuse in the power cable, tried another power cable - nothing. Went on intermittently - not it went on bu there was no screen - monitor on standby.

What could be up? Need new processor? Graphics Card?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Sounds more like the power supply has died. When you power on the computer, do the fans for the cpu, power supply come on? Are there any beeps from the computer after powering on?

3. Daniel Davis

Daniel Davis

Sometimes...this can be caused by a cable put on backwards on the back of a hard drive. Other times, it can be that the motherboard is grounding onto the case somewhere.

4. jazzt1

jazzt1 Thread Starter

I think you are right about the power supply; its the only reasonable explanation. There are no beeps from the computer - absolutely nothing - no noise, lights etc.

Would the power supply be easy enough to fit myself, or would I be better to get someone who knows more about it to fit a new one?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Power supplies not too difficult to replace since no drivers or configuration is required. You must disassemble the computer to the point where you can remove the power supply. When installing the new one make sure it is set for the correct voltage [there is a switch on the back of the power supply]. If you are using an older AT type make sure the connections are put back on the same way i.e. black leads go together. The newer ATX type you cannot get them on backwards.

6. jazzt1

jazzt1 Thread Starter

Should I get a 300W power supply for my AMD Athlon 800MHz pc?
    Or would a 250W be better?

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

For the little price difference, why not go with the larger one?

8. jazzt1

jazzt1 Thread Starter

300W it is then!

Thanks everyone!!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60640

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice