1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC wont turn on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LinuxGold, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LinuxGold

LinuxGold Thread Starter

We are currently running 300 workstations, 190 of them use ONE model (Gateway E4620). There are some that had same problem (about 20). Initially it works great until a while later, it will not power on. I had to unplug the power cord and plug it back in then I will be able to power on. The staff have to do that every time.

What is the possible cause? What should I look for to get it FIXED?

2. TekTime

TekTime

I would start first by purchasing ONE new power supply with sufficient wattage, amperage, and if possible dual 12V rails. Replace one of the workstation's PSU and see if the problem remains. If the issue is fixed after a bit of trial and testing, order more PSUs for the remaining systems and replace them.

That's a start...next culprit if the PSU isn't the issue, is the mobo(s).

3. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK

I've had that happen with systems that have bad capacitors on the motherboard. Look at the tops of the capacitors for bulges or even any leaking electrolyte gell that has popped it.

You can always hold the power button and count six (let's say eight - some people count faster than time moves) seconds and that should shut it off. That way the employees do not need to pull the computers out from under their desks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918305

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice