pc wont work

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jitterbug59

i have a 95/98 windows and i cant get it to do anything. it looks like its in safe mode but its not. how can i install windows xp if it wont take a cd or floppy. and could you tell me what a ghost is that they use at a pc shop

G'day Jitterbug, ghost is a duplicated image of a hard drive or set of files that can be reloaded to replace an original if needed, as for as I know.
What are the specs of your machine, are you dual booted?
Your mention of W95-98 seems odd.
You do have a floppydrive and CDROM fitted of course?
Either way go to the Madboot netsite and download the free image and make a Madboot floppy. This is a first step and will require a really good floppy disk with no bad sectors.
Having achieved this it becomes a tool to investigate your system, that is a start.
Cheers, qldit.

Welcome to TSG

Please give more information. What do you mean it looks like it's in safe mode? Are you in Windows? Nothing works? Ghost is a program to copy/backup the contents of a hard drive.

jitterbug59

it wont let me go to start and it wont take any cd or floppys and its windows98,dell opticplex pc

Ghost is only a program to copy to and copy from, a back-up duplicated system tool.
So you would have to have a fully functional system and then ghost it to some storage medium.
It is a program that often comes with board software OEM.
Are you sure you actually want it?
What operating system CD's do you have?
Are you sure your system will support XP
qldit.

jitterbug59 said:
what does the pc repair men use to find out whats wrong with the pcs
Mainly, they use experience.

You give zero in the way of information that could enable any help though.

Why can't you boot from a CD or floppy?
Is it ignoring them, or is it a laptop without a CD or floppy drive fitted?

If its ignoring the CD or floppy, you need to set the boot order in the BIOS so that it tries to boot from them before the hard drive.

What type of PC is it exactly?

jitterbug59

it is a dell opitiplex windows 95/98 when i turn it on it has all the icons but no start menu and it has 192 mb of ram and 40 hd. when i put cd or floppy in you can hear it runing but it wont do anything

It sounds like it is loaded with spyware. From your posts, it sounds as if it is getting to the desktop but there is no start bar at the bottom??
Do you have ad-aware SE loaded on the machine? If not, do you have any way to get a 3 mb file onto the machine??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online