1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

pc world

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by THOR 1, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. THOR 1

THOR 1 Thread Starter

JUNE 11TH I BOUGHT A LAP TOP COMPUTER FOR MY SON DALE, 15TH AUGUST IT LOST A BOOT UP FILE AND WOULD NOT START . AS I TOOK OUT A INSURANCE POLICY AT £7-99P A MONTH FOR ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE (PEACE OF MIND) SO I WAS TOLD , IT DIDNT WORRY ME. TOOK THE PC BACK TO PC WORLD EXPLAINED THE PROBLEM . THAT WILL BE £69-99P TO PUT IT RIGHT , "rubbish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

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Thor 1,
    Sorry to welcome you to TSG in these circumstances! Did you pay for the laptop with a credit card? If so the credit card company is jointly liable under UK law if the goods were not fit for purpose or various other circumstances.
    Do you subscribe to 'Which?' magazine? If so have you got their legal services 'phone number? They give excellent help - the quarterly sub is only a few quid, & once you've paid for that, a lawyer will talk you through your rights under consumer law.

If you need phone nos. let me know & I'll send them via 'personal message' rather than the forum so as to ensure Which? does not get too many unsolicted calls!

Richard.

3. Blazintails

Blazintails

Did you try Packard Bells web site to see if the recovery disks are available to download? Or have you called Packard Bell personally? I just called Dell about this same issue and they did sent out the complete disk to the customer for a $10 charge.

I highly doubt if the Lappie is 2 months old that they do not have the disks available somewhere.

It hard to believe that a company can sell a computer and not give any disks at all. I see this all the time with my customers. Its bad business in my opinion.

4. Doom_Machine

Doom_Machine

sure the recovery disk wasnt in the hidden partition of the drive? thats how some places do it, usually you have to press F10 or F11 at boot to get to the recovery screen. but anyway it looked as if the hard drive was bad but odd that they wernt able to put the OS in it, circuit city did on mine when i had drive replaced.

might try calling PB several times....when i have company problems i make repeated phone calls every day till someone gets me help and i inform each rep who takes my call that i've made repeated calls and will continue to do so...sometimes you have to sound like a @55 to get peoples attention.

5. THOR 1

THOR 1 Thread Starter

Correct they do store them there, but on packard bell you get only one chance to make a recovery disc i did'nt get that chance .the tech guys tried to order the discs but could'nt get them from p.b. but the good news is pc world swapped my computer for a new one this morning . The manageress decided i'd been messed around long enough. It seems to work when tell the story out loud to the entire store :D ps cheers lads for the help offered

6. Blazintails

Blazintails

Well BIG CONGRATS on your new system. It seems to work well when a store is loaded with people and you talk REALLY loud. LOL

7. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

THOR 1,
    Glad you got a good result. Well done on 'giant slaying'.

Richard

8. Spiderman420

Spiderman420

I keep buying from PC world , normally the service is good , my favourite supplier though is www.technoworld.com, never had a single complaint they could not solve !!!

9. Gibbs

Gibbs

Wally's World is a joke.

10. dnbtom

dnbtom

PC World for you completly.. (n)

11. clavinova

clavinova

Waow !! congratulations Thor, you've been really lucky. I have bought two PCs from PC world, a Packard Bell and a Hewlet Packard, both had hard disk issues - I was told it was the result of a fight between Norton, pre-installed, and the Mc Afee they sold me (although, of course, I had uninstalled Norton before installing McAfee)- for the older, for a while, they told me the same thing as you: can't do anything, we dont have the recovery disk etc... , I surched everywhere for it microsoft HP, etc... couldn't find until yes, I also raised my voice and actually..... PC World had a spare one !!!!!! They've installed a new hard disk and it's working but of course can't tell you how many hours I lost plus all the datas on it. The second one, after few months, same problems, it can't reboot, starts, tries to boot and goes back off, comes back and so on the continuous visues circle. I am so fed up, I posted several threats and no solution. It's now sleeping in its box for one year. Then I would say, thank you PC world for all the time and money vasted.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644304

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice