1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pc100 / Pc133 Memory Conflict ??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nsimister, Jul 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nsimister

nsimister Thread Starter

Hi

I have used Belarc to check my motherboard, processor etc.
    It said my FSB was 133 Mhz
    It also said my Dimm currently fitted was 100Mhz Sdramm (2 x 128)

So..i think mistakingly i thought it would be ok to buy a 256md sdram PC133....however, the system only sees it as 123 giving me a total of approx 383.

IS this obviois or is there a setting i should alter OR have i bought the wrong type and need PC100

Any help much appreciated (y)

Cheers

2. brite750

brite750

whats your mobo? some are picky about mixxing ram types especially older ones

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Many times, the newer 133 isn't backwards compatible. There was a time when it was pretty much ok, but they changed somewhere along the line. I think even Crucial put a notice on their website.

4. Arcadion

Arcadion

The problem most likely is that the 256MB stick you bought is high-density, you can tell it's high-density if it has 4 or 8 chips on it. You need low-density SDRAM, which for a 256MB stick would have 16 chips (8 on each side). This is more likely to be a problem with the Intel LX/EX/BX/ZX chipsets than VIA P3 ones.

5. nsimister

nsimister Thread Starter

Thanks Guys
    My motherboard is an Aopen Ax6BC
    Intel pentium 3 733Meg

From "Everest" my hardware details:

RFrontside Bus Properties
    Real Clock 133
    Effective Clock 133

It sounds like i need to buy PC100 and try and flog this 133 back on Ebay!! :(

Cheers

6. Arcadion

Arcadion

Yeah, that board uses a BX chipset, if you bought that RAM new you should be able to return it and get a low-density stick instead. At least you could if you bought it from a reputable place.

7. nsimister

nsimister Thread Starter

I bought it from a normal ebay user, not a shop, so i'm a bit stuffed i think :(

Ah well you live and learn :)

Thanks for everyones comments and suggestions

Neil

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

The good news is that it shouldn't have cost much and you can probably find someone who can use it :)

9. Perfesser

Perfesser

NOT an ad, just a plug for OEMPCWorld...if you buy from them they will buy your old memory for about 1/2 of what they are selling the same for, and they have a lifetime warranty. I bought a pair of 256mB low density (same kind you need) and got a replacement for one after over a year - and got a Crucial 256m for a replacement.
    It took about a week - not bad for mail order!
    A lot of older PC100 will work at 133.
    www.oempcworld.com

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/382516

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice