Pc100 / Pc133 Memory Conflict ??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nsimister

Hi

I have used Belarc to check my motherboard, processor etc.
It said my FSB was 133 Mhz
It also said my Dimm currently fitted was 100Mhz Sdramm (2 x 128)

So..i think mistakingly i thought it would be ok to buy a 256md sdram PC133....however, the system only sees it as 123 giving me a total of approx 383.

IS this obviois or is there a setting i should alter OR have i bought the wrong type and need PC100

Any help much appreciated (y)

Cheers

nsimister said:
Hi

I have used Belarc to check my motherboard, processor etc.
It said my FSB was 133 Mhz
It also said my Dimm currently fitted was 100Mhz Sdramm (2 x 128)

So..i think mistakingly i thought it would be ok to buy a 256md sdram PC133....however, the system only sees it as 123 giving me a total of approx 383.

IS this obviois or is there a setting i should alter OR have i bought the wrong type and need PC100

Any help much appreciated (y)

Cheers
whats your mobo? some are picky about mixxing ram types especially older ones

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Many times, the newer 133 isn't backwards compatible. There was a time when it was pretty much ok, but they changed somewhere along the line. I think even Crucial put a notice on their website.

The problem most likely is that the 256MB stick you bought is high-density, you can tell it's high-density if it has 4 or 8 chips on it. You need low-density SDRAM, which for a 256MB stick would have 16 chips (8 on each side). This is more likely to be a problem with the Intel LX/EX/BX/ZX chipsets than VIA P3 ones.

nsimister

Thanks Guys
My motherboard is an Aopen Ax6BC
Intel pentium 3 733Meg

From "Everest" my hardware details:

RFrontside Bus Properties
Real Clock 133
Effective Clock 133

It sounds like i need to buy PC100 and try and flog this 133 back on Ebay!! :(

Cheers

Yeah, that board uses a BX chipset, if you bought that RAM new you should be able to return it and get a low-density stick instead. At least you could if you bought it from a reputable place.

nsimister

I bought it from a normal ebay user, not a shop, so i'm a bit stuffed i think :(

Ah well you live and learn :)

Thanks for everyones comments and suggestions

Neil

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
The good news is that it shouldn't have cost much and you can probably find someone who can use it :)

NOT an ad, just a plug for OEMPCWorld...if you buy from them they will buy your old memory for about 1/2 of what they are selling the same for, and they have a lifetime warranty. I bought a pair of 256mB low density (same kind you need) and got a replacement for one after over a year - and got a Crucial 256m for a replacement.
It took about a week - not bad for mail order!
A lot of older PC100 will work at 133.
www.oempcworld.com

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online