1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC100 vs PC133 RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zerose, Dec 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zerose

zerose Thread Starter

I have a laptop which calls for PC100 SDRAM. Can I use PC133? What does the 100 &133 mean anyway?

2. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi zerose,
    That is the clock speed of the memory module. Yes you can use 133 in place of 100mhz. But remember that if you have more than one slot make sure you get the same speed in all slots. If you use one 100mnz and one 133mhz it will run at the slower speed

3. deuce

deuce

Well, this isn't exactly help for you zerose, but I see your question was answered. BTW... unless you have the ram already, you might as well just get the 100 since the 133 is more speed you won't utilize and you can pick up a few bucks, but that is just my opinion. Otherwise it doesn't matter because it is only a difference of like $20 instead of 17 for about 128mb. If you get a lot that adds up, though still small as it is.

TW56... I have never quite fully understood the way memory works... but then again, do we understand anything computers do fully??... :) Anyway, in a P4 with Rambus memory and a 400 Mhz bus... you can use pc-600 and it runs at 600 Mhz, pc-800 at 800, but if you put in pc-700 it will run at 600. Why is that? Why doesn't the 700 run at 700 and not 600? You can use all three in there, but only 600 and 800 run at what they are supposed to run at. So then, is there a reason pc-700 is even made? No one can use it, since all machines using Rambus have a 400 bus and run the RDRam at 600 or 800. :confused: Might be useless info, but I was just curious if some one could enlighten me. :cool:

4. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi deuce_mn,
    We are in the same boat. The reason I know what I posted is because I put new memory in mine and got that info for myself. Im in the dark as much as you! Big help huh?

5. deuce

deuce

Yeah oh well... doesn't really accomplish a whole lot knowing why pc-700 runs as 600 mhz but it would be nice to know anyway. PC-800 is basically the standard for RDRam now... no one uses 600 or 700 much anymore.

(Mr. Ram... what whats you tick??? :confused: )

6. PC_DISK1

PC_DISK1

Im not 100% sure but I belive if you put in a 133MHz dimm into a 100MHz solt the 133MHz dimm will downgrade to 100MHz. A few years back you had to buy the correct speed or it would not work. Now I guess dimms are smarter, or the motherboard slots are smarter.

As far as PC600, and PC700, and PC800 goes, I think that it has something to do with the CPU multiplyer. I could be wrong on this one but its the first thing that poped in my head when I read the post.

7. zerose

zerose Thread Starter

Thanks, guys. But it looks like the memory is not going to work anyway. If I add it to the remaining memory, it fails, and if I use it alone, the computer won't even boot.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61911

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice