1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC133 Memory

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rmancini, Jul 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rmancini

rmancini Thread Starter

I recently tried to add memory to my home-built pc.
    I started with 256mb in DIMM 1 and 128mb in DIMM 2. I later added 256mb to DIMM 2 and moved the 128 to DIMM 3.
    Upon booting, the pc counted the new ram and all was well for only a matter of minutes. I started getting "Low memory" error messages which subsequently shut-down whichever program I happened to be in.
    I removed the 128 stick from DIMM 3 leaving that slot empty and all errors ceased.
    Any ideas as to why this happened?
    Below are the stats for my pc.
    TIA,
    Rich

AMD 750 @ 750, Epox 7KXA (Rev 0.4) Frequency set
    to host clock +33, 450 watt ps (PC Power & Cooling),
    Micron PC133 memory: 256mb DIMM 1 & 256mb DIMM 2, DIMM3 empty.
    Sound Blaster Live, Diamond Viper 2,
    Hard drives: 20.5gb IBM and a 20gb WD,
    Standard CD rom and a HP CD burner. OEM Win98 se.
    Norton AV 2001.

2. Paul D

Paul D

98 has issues with > 512mb of RAM. I'm sure someone will come along and explain it in much more detail.
    Also it is questionable whether you get much value for money over 256mb, unless you're doing something like processing very large image files in Photoshop or similar, although RAM is pretty cheap nowadays. In other words, you're probably not losing anything by not having that last 128mb installed

Just down the page there's a thread entitled Too Much RAM memory which will tell you a lot

<a href="http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?threadid=46282">Too Much RAM Memory</a>

[Edited by Paul D on 07-01-2001 at 11:07 PM]

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/47408

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice