1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC2700 Corsair XMS freezes or restarts on ECS 741GX-M mobo...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DaFOBulous1, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DaFOBulous1

DaFOBulous1 Thread Starter

I have a 512MB XMS PC2700 installed on my computer which has the ECS 741GX-M motherboard.

For some reason; I would go to the bios, it would work for a few seconds or maybe a minute and then freeze. Sometimes, if it does work; while I'm at Windows XP, it just restarts all of a sudden. Sometimes, it could restart 30-45 minutes into Windows XP or as little as 1-2 minutes.

Any suggestions why?

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

I would think that if it's freezing in the bios, that either the motherboard is defective, or the power supply is bad. From the decription of your reboots, I'd suspect an unstable power supply.

Also, take a look at the motherboard.. Pay attention to the capacitors around the dimm slots. If any are bulging or leaking, RMA the board.. Faulty capacitors could be causeing unstable voltages across the mobo.

3. DaFOBulous1

It could be but I have the HyperX memory and it gives me no problems at all.

I don't know.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

So you are saying one memory chip works and one doesn't? If so, I'd say the one that doesn't work doesn't like your machine.

Edited for typo only.

5. DaFOBulous1

Yea, it also seems it messes up my power supply? as it freezes when I try to go to the BIOs. The HyperX doesn't. I called them and they didn't say anything about Corsair and ECS board having problems. I think they are even located right near each other, the place itself...Fremont, CA I believe.

How long does memtest86 take BTW?

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Not sure, I never use it as I don't trust it. If ram doesn't work in one machine for me, I test it in another, or another, and if won't work there, I either RMA it if it's new, or trash it if it's old.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324250

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice