1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC3200 (DDR400) running at DDR333 (PC2700)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by D. Shadow, Jun 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. D. Shadow

D. Shadow Thread Starter

my desktop unit uses PC3200/DDR400 ram modules, but in the bios setting (which is set to auto detect) reads as 333MHz instead of 400MHz.

now im using 4 PC3200 sticks on my mobo (2 - 512MB and 2 - 256MB sticks= 1.50GB) and there is an option in my bios to take it off of auto and set the DDR speed manually.

but also i've head that if you use 2 PC3200 sticks you can easily get the max speed of DDR400.

but the question im trying to salve here is, can i safely run my ram at its max speed without ruining my system by setting the speed i the bios with 4 modules of ram?
    or do i need just 2 sticks of ram for that.

2. help me please

help me please

i had an old AMD athlon 3400+ (754) and when i filled the 3 slots (2x 512MB sticks, and 1x 1GB all at DDR400 pc3200, but the memory controller in the Athlon couldn't go that high, so the maximum i could get was about 270MHz. i did try forcing the 400, but all i got was a lot of crashes. you can try it and see, but even at 333, you are still better with 1.5 GB than 512, or 1GB.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

I had a socket 939 Bi ostarboard the same way, the minute I used 4 sticks all the speed dropped to 333 from 400. I wouldn't worry about it, you won't be able to change it manually most likely.

4. D. Shadow

D. Shadow Thread Starter

so basically, just leave the default settings as they are with 4 sticks of ram huh?

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes it's the only choice really and won't make even a noticeable difference. I was running that way for months before I actually noticed the change...

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/723926

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice