1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

pcANYWHERE

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by rickn109, Feb 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rickn109

rickn109 Thread Starter

:confused: Ok, got a problem here folks and I need some expert advise. I have installed pcANYWHERE on my computer and my daughters computere. Now here is my problem, I am the remote and my daughter is the host, how do I configure it? I have read the manual and it is about as clear as mud. My port is Com3 and hers is Com2, so how do we connect, I have tried several settings and still can't connect. Does anyone have a readers digest condensed version of how I need to configure both computers? Also, what should I put the settings at ? etc?
    Thanks for all responses:confused:

2. randyrayd

randyrayd

Novice here, but somewhat familiar with pcAnywhere, but we use them mostly for dialup of remote sites. I believe you are going to have to get a hub and network card for both computers. After that the info will be in the help and tools section. Look under TCP/IP in the help section.

I don't believe you can connect with just COM 2/COM 3. I believe you have to have CAT-5 cable, RJ-45 connectors and a hub. I guess you could try....set properties by right clicking on the new host and select the COM port through properties. Like I said, I don't think that'll work.

Maybe the real techs will have a better answer.

Randall

3. rickn109

rickn109 Thread Starter

Thanks for the response but I don't think that I can do what is suggested, you see, my daughter lives in Supulpa Ok and I am in Oklahoma city, about 2 hours away. I don't know how else to do this or as you suggested, anyway, I will try something. Thanks again for responding.

4. randyrayd

randyrayd

Ohhhhhhhh! I though you were networking in the house. This is much easier. Let's take one computer then do the same things on the other one. I hope you are using dial up modems. If you are cable or DSL it's a little different.

Computer A: start pcAnywhere, click on remote control, >add remote control>name the computer(daughter's name?)>pick your com port>type in her number>uncheck "automatically begin remote control..." because you not ready yet. You're back to your initial page. Now click be a host>add be a host>name it (you)>pick you com port>on this page if you check "Use pcAny..caller security" your gonna have to make up some passwords but you should do it>put in your daughter's name and passwords>uncheck "automaticall begin..." then do the same thing to the other computer. Your computer may answer your telephone after four rings.

Randall

By the way, I was born in Sapulpa.

5. JustMe2

JustMe2

First Name:
    Crystal
    rickn109,
    I use PcAnywhere on a daily basis. From my experience, it's probably not going to work if you choose a com port. Pick your modem from the drop down list on both computers. If the program is going to stay active all of the time on your daughter's computer, make sure and use a logon name and password, just for safety's sake. This way, if someone were to see that she was using the program, they couldn't just dial into her machine. If she is not going to be dialing into your machine, then you just need to set up the host on hers, and the remote on your machine.
    Any other questions...just fire away.
    And for the record, I agree with you...the manual is crap! Much easier to use by just messing around with the program!
    JustMe2

6. randyrayd

randyrayd

Sorry for the error. Mine is configured as you correctly stated. I have an integrated modem (com port but no IRQ, it's on the mobo) and assumed (bad thing) the modem cards or externals were configured differently. It goes back to a problem I had with a WinFax tech.

Randall

7. JustMe2

JustMe2

First Name:
    Crystal
    No need for sorry, Randall...we're all human here! :)
    I learned about the com port not working when I was trying to talk a remote branch through setting up the host on his computer, so I could get into the machine. Took me 2 days, before I realized he didn't have the modem selected! Can we say that he felt really stupid! (and that I rubbed it in!)
    PCAnywhere is a great program...I like the fact that I can print from remote machines, to my printer. Comes in handy, and it was easy to set up.
    JustMe2

8. randyrayd

randyrayd

Just2me, please tell me how to print to me from remote!!!! I couldn't find that function and have always had to put the data in a folder on the remote then transfer that file to my PC and print. This would be EXTREMELY helpful. Since we don't do much printing at remote sites we D/C'ed printers everywhere during the last upgrade. Sounds a lot simpler. If it's lengthy and you need my addy, let me know.

Randall

9. JustMe2

JustMe2

First Name:
    Crystal
    Randall,
    I'll try! :) My version is 8.02 (need to upgrade, don't I)
    This has to be done on the host machine, if you're wanting to print to your printer when you are connected to the host machine.

On the main PcAnywhere window, click File and go to Application Options. Choose the tab that says remote printing. Click on add a printer. Install the printer that you want to print to. Or if the driver isn't listed, just follow the instructions for installing the printer as if it were local, and then go back to PcAnywhere, and install the printer there also.
    I literally use this way of printing on a daily basis, as I work from home. Of course, text printing is much faster than if you're printing anything with a graphical interface.
    Also...when you do print something from the host machine to your printer. Don't log-off of the host computer until your printer icon has diappeared from your tray. As long as that icon is there, it's still downloading information to you machine.
    JustMe2

10. randyrayd

randyrayd

Thanks, I really appreciate this.

I wonder rickn got pcAnywhere configured?

Randall

11. JustMe2

JustMe2

First Name:
    Crystal
    No problem. Worked like a charm when I installed it to use. Hope it does for you to.

I was wondering the same thing about rickn. Maybe he'll post back this evening.
    JustMe2

12. rickn109

rickn109 Thread Starter

Ok, still not connecting, 1st, my com port is figured for Com3 and hers is figured for Com2, 2nd.we have different modems, does this make a diff? Also, when I go to remote it starts dialing but I get no response from her computer. I then go to the host and dial her number and still nothing, what am I doing wrong?I tried to follow your directions to the letter but there were some deviations along the way and "automatically begin remote control" never did come up during my configurations unless I overlooked it.

13. rickn109

rickn109 Thread Starter

Should I configure both "Host" and "Remote"on my computer the same as "Host" and "Remote" on my daughters computer? Should I configure my computer to use the "modem detected" instead of the "com ports" and should I do the same on here computer,use the "Modem" instead of the "com ports" ?

14. JustMe2

JustMe2

First Name:
    Crystal
    Okay, rickn,
    Your computer...you must set up a remote on this machine. Configure it to dial the phone number that is connected to her machine. Do not use the com ports. When you set this up, that part of setup should be a drop down menu. Choose your modem from it. Give it your daughter's name if you'd like!

Her computer...must set up a host access account on it. Make sure she chooses her modem from the drop down box during setup. Don't even worry with logons yet.

For you to be able to access her computer, she will need to couble click the icon in the host window that she has made for you. This will make the actual program box disappear, and a grey window will minimize to tray. It will say waiting. This must be active in this way for you to be able to dial in.

You can also experiment a little...Try this...on her machine have her go to the host window and double click on the modem. Then you go to your remote window and double click on the one that says modem. It should then ask for the phone number that you want to dial, Enter it, and see if you can connect via this method!
    If this works for you and you're not planning on using the software to ever dial into any other computer, you can always right click on the modem and go to properties, and go to the settings tab and enter a login and password for the modem.

JustMe2

15. rickn109

rickn109 Thread Starter

Thanks guys,sorry to be such a pain,it seems like I am better at assembling the hardware in a computer than the software part. Anyway, I printed out the instructions and will give it a shot tomorrow and see how it goes, I will get back with you gentlemen tomorrow and let you know how it turned out, Thanks again.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117243

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice