1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

pcAnywhere

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by rickn109, Feb 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rickn109

rickn109 Thread Starter

Does anyone know how to set up pcAnywhere? My computer will be the remote and hers will be the host?, I have tried but failed in the settings.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'll tell you about a free remote control utility that's very easy to setup and get running, I haven't looked at PCAnywhere in years. Look into tightVNC, great little remote console program. I use it for all my customer support. :)

3. rickn109

rickn109 Thread Starter

Ok, I have downloaded the program,installed and now it is installed in the other computer that i am trying to set up. How do I access this other computer with this program? I am not sure on what I need to do after it is installed to start communicating.Please help cause I am no familiar with this program.

4. JohnWill

The machine that you want to contact runs the server, you can run it as a service on W2K/XP. You give it a password, and accept the other defaults. On the client machine, you just run the client, and enter the machine name (or IP address) and the password, and you're looking at the other machine's desktop.

5. rickn109

rickn109 Thread Starter

Ok, understand, but do I need to be online (AOL) or offline to access, also, do I need to type in full IP and port or how does that work?I have tried putting in the IP but it doesn't do anything just sets there says it is connecting. Also, does the other computere need to have the product in the lower right hand corner waiting? Sorry, to ask so many questions but I want to fully understand how this product works. If I cont to have a lot of problems, I get discouraged and delete the files andtry something else.

6. JohnWill

Where is the remote computer? Are you on a local network, or is it somewhere else and you're connecting via the Internet. If you're using AOL as your ISP, you may run into blocked ports that will prevent you from using either of these programs, I steer away from AOL like the plague. :)

The computer that you're connecting to has to have the server running, or there's nobody to make a connection with. This is obviously true for PCAnywhere as well.

As I mentioned, I use this product for work on my local LAN, as well as Internet support of clients far and wide. As long as you don't have any firewalls or ISP blocked ports preventing connections, it should work anywhere in the world.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118320

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice