1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PCB Board

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WonderfulPete, Dec 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WonderfulPete

WonderfulPete Thread Starter

I posted an earlier question about "PXE-E61: Media Test Failure, Check Cable"
    I've been intouch with HP who told me it was probably the Hard Drive & the MB but a local PC store says that both are unlikely to be down, he tried to connect to the HD using an adapter but he couldn't detect it. So it's most likely the HD. Before I go buying a new HD I read about a PCB Board for sale on Ebay that fixes 50% of bad drives. I'm not sure of the likelyhood of this working - could it really work? and is it easy to change whatever I have to change?

http://cgi.ebay.com/SEAGATE-ST98082...ageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m118

Thanks.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The IDE board shown is very specific to the exact drive, make model and revision of firmware for the seagate drive.

You can't just bung it on any drive, its just the on-board electronics portion for a specific make and model of hard drive.

Such boards are definitely not generic. Is it exactly the same make model and version as your drive?

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

This 80-Gigabyte disk is $65--INCLUDING shipping.

I have tried this fix several times and if I remember correctly, it has worked only once. I don't recommend trying it unless you are trying to recover the data from the disk. In that case, you could be trying to save a recovery bill that is over a thousand dollars; but, if it is just the cost of the drive, well, that's only $65 for a new one with a warranty and the ebay guy is probably going to want $10 or $12 shipping, putting his at $25.

If you shop those new ones, there are some that carry a five-year warranty.

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

kiwiguy has a point I forgot to mention. When I tried it, it was with board from a NEW drive of the exact model.

Again, we weren't trying to save a drive; we were trying to recover data. One of those was subsequently sent for data recovery and the bill was just over $1600. And to think, it could have been backed up on a twenty-five-cent CD.

5. WonderfulPete

WonderfulPete Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys, I am trying to recover the data from the drive (mostly school work and photo's) and the one listed on ebay is the exact model of the one I have. How difficult is it to take off the old part and install the new - what's involved in the process?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/664273

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice