1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PCI 1394 card not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bradstard, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bradstard

Bradstard Thread Starter

Hello, I just bought a brand new 1394 card for my PC. I have installed cards in the past and there was no problem. My computer has three PCI slots free. I have tried my 1394 card in all three and every time it says "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" in my device manager. Also, when I start it in one of the slots, it tells me the card I just installed will need to share another IRQ number (I think, I might be wrong). I've never encountered a problem like this, I was carefull not to damage the card as I installed it, is the card faulty? or are my settings screwed up? I just installed a fresh copy of Win XP so the whole thing is new and clean. Thanks for any suggestions or help in advance!

2. compilerxp

compilerxp

Try another CARD. I assume you have other PCI cards installed so you can confirm that the PCI slots are working.

1394 Firewire cards are pretty much idiot proof to install (Compared to USB) even with Windows98... just plug them in and turn on the computer.

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Via Firewire cards can and do sometimes cause problems if your Mobo has Via chips on it.

4. Bradstard

Bradstard Thread Starter

I went to the store and switched the card but this one does the same thing. The guy said I should update my drivers for the motherboard and the 1394 card. The card ( a Pyro ) didn't seem to have any drivers to download for XP and I don't know enough about my MB to update it. Does anybody know what could be wrong?

5. compilerxp

compilerxp

Drivers are built into Windows98 and WindowsXP... by design, it not supposed to require you to install drivers. Hence, its why it USUALLY works very reliably. Sorry you're having such problems.

Question: Have you installed all your motherboard drivers? What do you have? if you don't know - download and install the free aida32 program - enterprise or enterprise versions www.aida32.hu

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172532

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice