1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PCI Device Missing..PC HELP?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bobberbiker, Feb 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobberbiker

bobberbiker Thread Starter

hey guys
    im on the verge of taking a hammer to my pc. can someone help me out.

i have 2 computers and the 2nd one keeps saying my pci device (realtek) is disconnected. it was working fine then 1 day it just didnt recognise it so i cant connect to the internet, iv triple checked cables etc i didnt change anything at all on it for it not to work, sometimes it will connect when i turn the pc on maybe once a week then the next day it is gone again. its a e-machines and windows XP. i have no idea what to do iv tried everything i can think of.
    any ideas?

thanks in advance

2. pip22

pip22

If the network adapter has developed an intermittent fault (which will eventually become a permanent one) you can buy a PCI network card and fit it into a spare PCI slot inside your PC. Plug your ethernet cable into that. You won't need to install any driver for it as Windows XP should install it when the card is detected.

3. bobberbiker

dont really want to buy a new one id rather try and fix this one lol. is there a way i can test it to see if there is a fault?

4. sonexpc

sonexpc

Try in Safe mode with network support to see is same problem happen...

5. rondp43

rondp43

Is it possible you installed a Windows update for the Realtek driver and it failed to install? If so, restore the previous version. Or recover Windows system back to a checkpoint when you know realtek was working properly.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's currently listed in the Network Adapters heading in the Device Manager?

Are there any entries in the Device Manager with a ? or ! next to them?

What model name and model number is that eMachines desktop?

-------------------------------------------------------

7. bobberbiker

tried with safe mode with ntwork and still didnt work

iv reinstalled xp but didnt fix it, in device manager under network adapters it says realtek but under unkown devices which all have the yellow question mark it says PCI, sound and video...the sound and video i can fix. the pci im sure is the network adapter as before when it was working the pci was never there. not sure what model 420 i think but i can check if needed. i tried to make a new connection and it says the network realtek is unplugged so i clicked ignore but didnt work. i put the network card in different slots and no joy. it recognises it when i turn pc on but wont install it. iv tried downloading drivers but there is no exe file even from netgear website so no idea how to install it. the network adapter is netgear F311. im gonna end up smashing the thing up its really doing my head in

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1039490

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice